Stripped SS Tunic on Estand

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stripped SS Tunic on Estand

I wanted to start a disscusion on this. I am interested in what appears to be lining sewn under the tunic body. I have never seen this before in a finished and worn garment. I am sure others may have other observations.

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=263651

The extra material looks to have been added by the tailor or by the wearer to strengthen the button holes,a piece of extra material added to the back of the interior collar neck as well.

Could be re-lined too.

Glenn
    "A Man's Got to Know His Limitations"

Comment

some lining was added later, the tailor tag mabye also

Comment

That was odd but what I found more odd was that the area under the Adler was dirtier than the tunic itself. How would that happen? I would expect that area to be nice and clean compared to the rest of the tunic. Same with the collar tab area. What is with all the dirt and grim under the tabs? I don’t know what you guys think but to me it looks intentionally done to simulate a difference in material condition where the insignia should have been. Just in the reverse, as it should be IMO. Maybe I am wrong I don't know but it seems weird to me. Plus the lining looks dead mint and the rest of the tunic shows wear.

Comment

Maybe somebody removed some heavily oxidized collar tabs, hence the baking powder color on the collar.

Comment

Originally posted by Rolf D. View Post
            Maybe somebody removed some heavily oxidized collar tabs, hence the baking powder color on the collar.
            I seen runes oxidize but piping I don't think get that oxidzed but who knows.
            Last edited by NTZ; 01-09-2008, 10:13 PM.

Comment

Without commenting on other aspects of the tunic I will address only the areas under the tabs and eagle. Its possible the tunic may have been wet a number of times, rain, dry cleaning, etc. and this may have caused the backing on the sleeve eagle to leech color from the black backing so often seen on bullion sleeve eagles. The tabs don't have that type backing but there may have been a similar leeching from a chemical cleaner, unless the tunic was wet for a prolonged time and got moldy under the tabs. Wool is usually colorfast with water exposure. Could be very corroded piping as NTZ suggested. Then again it may have been some wierd attempt by someone to add faux age to a stripped tunic. That would have to be a "hands on" call, and even then may not be possible to ever tell. The one positive is that it would all be covered up if restored.

Richard P

Comment

Dirt, moisture, got under the eagle and the eagle wasnt removed during cleaning so it stayed trapped, not unusual.

Comment

One thing to add,I cant tell if its a righteous SS tunic,dirt and grime can be faked ...in hands is always the only way to know for certain.I dont like all lthe loose threads around the area the tabs sat most stripped pieces Ive seen the threads were long gone with only some slight traces.But you never know.

Comment

Tunic

I am still confused why the lining is like that and why they would add additional cloth to the collar and inside button area. It may have been resized or relined?

Comment

Originally posted by jhodgson View Post
                      I am still confused why the lining is like that and why they would add additional cloth to the collar and inside button area. It may have been resized or relined?
                      This type of collar lining is seen very often on WWI period offices tunics as well as on some EM/ NCO. In many cases it looks to post time of manufacture but period applied and in some cases applied at the time the tunic was made....this last case would only appply to the private custom tunics of course.

I don't recall seeing it on WWII era tunics but I have no problem with it either. The lining characteristic is hard for me to understand...I offer no explanition for it. I have seen a few WWII officer tunics (and WWI) with inside placket or fly facing material (in red and and also this dark green) but never applied like this seems to be. My guess is that it is also period....maybe like suggested above dur to re-sizing....I just don't know.

I do not think that the oddity of this lining has anything to do with the tunic being a real SS officers tunic or not. I'm basically with the others above concerning my take on the insignia traces.

I think that the owner should make a real effort to read the name tag (I can make out maybe 2 or 3 letters of what appears to be a 6 letter name) and this officer should be easy to find on an SS list since his branch was probably medical (would a Vet also be Dr. ?)......If the first letter is indeed an A there was not many SS officers who had a last name starting with A.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                      X