SS panzer Lt. shoulder boards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SS panzer Lt. shoulder boards

Thoughts on these SS panzer Lt. shoulderboards?
    They look shiny like LW...so not sub-dued (matt silver)...
    For "best dress uniform"? These are not sew-ins...
    Thanks Nick
    Attached Files
    Last edited by NickG; 12-21-2007, 12:25 AM.

the back

The backs! Unfortunately the tongues gave been cut off...(slip ons)
    Thanks for your opinions!
    Nick
    Attached Files

Comment

Sorry, I just can't pass any judgement either way from what I can see except that they appear distorted yet no wear or evidence of being attached to a tunic. No button 'foot prints'.

Comment

These could have been used on a coat (slip ons) with the "screw on" buttons as sometimes seen on officers overcoats...In other words only the threaded post goes through the button slit...never the actual button... so the button slits look factory fresh still ...and these screw on buttons ride a lot higher on the boards in comparison with stitched buttons... so the "button imprint" is far less...That's a possible explanation or perhaps these were never issued? Who knows? Any other comments on these? construction? These were offered as Wehrmacht Lt Pzr boards with the black underlay explained as "matching" the panzer black uniforms... so not SS panzer...
        Nick
        Last edited by NickG; 12-21-2007, 02:18 PM.

Comment

From what you show they seem ok to me.

Comment

Originally posted by John Pic View Post
            From what you show they seem ok to me.
            agree this pair look nice

Comment

SS panzer

Thanks for confirming guys! Sounds promising that its a good set!
              What about the fact that these are shiny (not sub-dued)....
              Could these still be considered field/combat type shoulderboards?
              or only in this quality for "best dress" uniform use?
              Nick

Comment

more images

OK these finally came in, so here are more pictures! They are very well made and somewhat heavier than what I'm used too...These are not super shiny like East German or parade boards and not subdued like combat types...more like Luftwaffe types (semi shiny) and the silver feels cold to the touch ...so the silver wire embroidery has good metal content! I probably should not have pressed so hard!
                Attached Files
                Last edited by NickG; 01-13-2008, 11:29 PM.

Comment

no tongues

Too bad that the tongues got cut off... battlefield pick up?
                  value? Thanks Nick
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by NickG; 01-13-2008, 11:29 PM.

Comment

Shiny

I do not like shiny Boards attributed to the SS and I avoid them.

Comment

I certainly think the shiney tops existed... here is a pair of SS-Hauptsturmfuhrer of Panzerjager that are good:

Boards courtesy Willi Schumacher Collection
                      Bob

Comment

Very nice !

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Dalton View Post
                          Sorry, I just can't pass any judgement either way from what I can see except that they appear distorted yet no wear or evidence of being attached to a tunic. No button 'foot prints'.

double post

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Dalton View Post

If shoulderboards were attached to an overcoat using THREADED button posts these buttons often sit way taller on the shoulder (in comparison with regular buttons), so the imprint is far less, as there is way less stress... Distortion in other areas on these boards could be explained by 60+ years of handling, I am just as guilty!

Also these could have been unissued (so no imprint) and some moron still decided to cut off the tongues for whatever reason (to fit better in a frame?) Who knows!

I do agree that shiny boards are not entirely uncommon! I know that fakes are usually made in the more common subdued pattern, so this variation is actually good sign I feel...and the seller was not offering these as SS boards, he had no idea...he thought these were standard army..and described as such for the black wrapper uniform, hence the black backing was his explanation!!! (and priced as Army!!)

This is how it was described (in error):

DESCRIPTION: The pink Waffenfarbe (color) of the piping on the underlay of black indicates the tank corps, or “Panzers.” The boards are in excellent shape except that the attachment strips are missing. They look to have been purposely removed. This was often done when the wearer intends to put them on a leather jacket. These are rather scarce and 100 percent original WWII era.
                            Last edited by NickG; 01-14-2008, 02:17 PM.

Comment

The cords and piping very closely resemble a fake Infantry SS-Hstf set I bought in the late 70's, Gary (Woody) has had them for analysis and photographing ... I'd like to hear what he say's.

Ian.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 3 users online. 0 members and 3 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X