Can you tell me what this skull is?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can you tell me what this skull is?

I bought this with some other stuff for $50. Some people are telling me this is a flatwire others telling me different. I am a helmet guy and this is all very new. Some help would be greatly appreciated. What would the skull be worth if it real?
    thanks,
    chris

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=259524

better pics below
    Last edited by coloradocowboy; 12-18-2007, 08:42 PM.

Hello Chris. It's hard to tell from the photo but it does look as if it could be an officers version or flat-wire. If the TK looks metalic then it is the officers version.

Comment

to me it looks like shiny cloth. is flatwire actual metal wire? i feel like i have graduated to a new grade talking to you SS guys. I never thought I would have an item to show you. it feels good

Comment

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by coloradocowboy View Post
            to me it looks like shiny cloth. is flatwire actual metal wire?
            Chris,

Your TK is a very fine flatwire example. Flatwire is a term that describes a very fine bullion thread which was combined with a mechanical embroidery system to produced officer grade insignia. This type of insignia, while generally used as officer grade, can be found on NCO and EM caps and tunics too. Hand embroidered bullion is much thicker and generally used on officer collar tabs, sleeve eagles, etc, but can be very intricate as well.
            Last edited by herrgeezer; 12-18-2007, 09:42 PM.

Comment

Chris,

It sure looks like a flatwire TK on both sides. You live in Colorado...touch the skull front to your lower lip, if its cold its flatwire embroidered. Very nice buy, especially if you need extra Christmas cash...if not, the start of a new area of collecting. Congratulations,

Richard P

Comment

I can't tell from looking atthis image if this is a flatwire officer's skull.
                The original flatwire skulls are actually woven with an aluminum wire thread.
                I have owned several of them - including on original caps and this one may be in pearl thread. It is shiny but looks more white to me. Can you post a better pic of the front
                Last edited by ReichsHeini; 12-20-2007, 11:39 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ReichsHeini View Post
                  I can't tell from looking atthis image if this is a flatwire officer's skull.
                  The original flatwire skulls are actually woven with an aluminum wire thread.
                  I have owned several of them - including on original caps and this one may be in pearl thread. It is shiny but looks more white to me. Can you post a better pic of the front
                  to me it def. has a metal on the outside of the thread and little white fibers on the inside. i looked under a loop at a loose strand. also cool on the lips

Comment

I'd say it is definately an officers' 'flat-wire' and a fine one at that

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Dalton View Post
                      I'd say it is definately an officers' 'flat-wire' and a fine one at that
                      thanks!

Comment

I would say that is definitely a flatwire from the photos you posted.

$50.00......... Buddy, you just hit the lottery with that pickup. Where did you come up with that little gem ?

Comment

ebay. it must be pretty rare as i am not finding any sites with one.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                          X