Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SS 1194/40 button - fake?

Hello,

I've read the pros and cons regarding this button, and aren't sure what concensus was reached. This button doesn't have the same high shoulders on the number "4"s as those pointed out as being fake, and has the strange runes that are slightly malformed as in the case of Chris' button, which he felt strongly was good.

So - is this breed real or fake? Thanks for your time - s/f Robert
    Attached Files

Attached Files

Comment

What do you think?
      Attached Files

Comment

Unfortunately, this is one of the new fakes like the one that Bob Hritz posted a while back. There is one big give away on these fake buttons, but I will not share it on this forum. Can you post a clearer picture of the markings? There is usually another problem there.
        Also, the diameter should be wrong. What is the exact diameter of the button?

Best,
        Chris

Comment

The skull pattern on these fakes always reminds me of this skull.............

I think it's the lop-sided eyes and the cheesy grin.
          Attached Files

Comment

Hi,
            Here's one and the cap it came on,
            Merdock
            Attached Files

Comment

They're pretty darn good replicas. If the pebbling weren't off and the zink shape/markings, I'd say it was perfect - the skull is a dead ringer for my original aluminum type.

Thanks for the comments, fellows - and it does look like that version, Robin!

Regards, Robert

Comment

The one on the cap above is a fake Assmann..................not the same as the one that started this thread.

Comment

Kameraden,
                  I'm on the hunt for an original Totenkopf button & I'll be the first to admit I need help identifying original from reproduction. I've seen very few on the internet for sale and theones I have seen, I'm very leery of.

Were the backs always stamped? Can anyone provide the correct size since I'll bring my micrometer to the SOS just in case I find one.

I also attempted to use the search function for more fotos and info but I was unable to find a whole lot of info. Maybe I'm not inserting the proper information to search by.

Any help would most definetly be appreciated.

Sepp

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                  X