Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bevo-trapezoid

Hello,

I recently picked up a M43 cap, and was wondering about the insignia. The maker is Erel, the hat has the green bevo trapezoid with edelweiss. All opinions appreciated.

John
    Last edited by RzM; 06-21-2003, 09:32 PM.

here is an example of an original BeVo trap for you to compare
    Last edited by Gary Wood; 08-29-2008, 06:49 PM.

Comment

another original trap
      Last edited by Gary Wood; 08-29-2008, 06:49 PM.

Comment

Cap Insignia.....

With regards to the cap insignia of RzM, These IMO are both copies and can be obtained from local traders for approx $20 a apair. The Edelweiss is a typical copy, as originals doesn't have the seams up the petals of the flower. Also the the yellow flower centre has toooo much space inbetween, and its the wrong colour too. Lastly the stem set-up is also wrong.
        If you look closely at Gary's examples of the trapeziod you will see that the trap displayed by RzM is not as detailed as Gary's. David

Nice traps GB.

Comment

Thank you for posting the pictures for comparison Gary, and also thanks for the tip on the edelweiss David. I returned the cap because I also thought the insignia was not correct.

John

Comment

I don't know so let me ask..
            What trap. is incountered more often, or rarer I guess you could say . The bevo style or the woven type?

Comment

traps

Hi Perry,

The term Bevo and woven refer to the same type of trap. The trap discussed on this thread are machine woven. There are some machine woven traps (1st style) single row of teeth, which come in both field grey and black, which were made by the BeVo Wuppertal firm. You'll find this firm's name on the edge of the welt or base of the trapezoid. Some collectors use the term BeVo style to refer to all machine woven insignia, even though they may not have come from the BeVo Wuppertal firm.

There are two primary patterns of machine woven traps with the single row of teeth. The kind shown above and this style, which I have posted a photo below. The 2nd style has only been observed in field grey (green) to date - to my knowledge.

Paul
              Attached Files

Comment

traps

Here is an example of the 1st style, single row of teeth machine woven trap, where you can see the firm of BeVo Wuppertals name.

Paul
                Attached Files

Comment

traps

Even among the two main types of machine woven, single row of teeth traps there are variations. The second picture Gary posted, which I owned for a while, has smaller teeth than the usual and had some unusual weave characteristics to the reverse.

The second style of single row also has a known variation. Of all the repros out there, some of the traps are done pretty well. Variations among the originals can make it even more confusing.

Your question about which style trap is the rarest - IMO that would be the machine embroidered style, which is found in field grey and black on coarse wool. A photo is posted below. There are even more variations found among this style of trap due to machine settings, different manufacturers, different templates being used, etc.

There are two primary different styles of machine embroidered traps, the type featured below - with all the variations and the Pirate style trap.

To have a basic collection representing traps, with out all the variations, you need 8 traps:

1. Machine woven, two row of teeth - field grey
                  2. Machine woven, two row of teeth - black panzer
                  3. Machine woven, single row of teeth, 1st style - field grey
                  4. Machine woven, single row of teeth, 1st style - black panzer
                  5. Machine woven, single row of teeth, 2nd style - field grey
                  6. Machine embroidered, coarse wool - field grey
                  7. Machine embroidered, coarse wool - black panzer
                  8. Machine embroidered - Pirate style - black panzer.

From there you can get into variations..............

Paul

Actually, the rarest trap is the very late war printed version, of which I know of two..........
                  Attached Files

Comment

Sorry I was meaning the embroidered type trap. My error..

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                    X