What is this?...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is this?...

Someone sent me this photo and it's said to have been taken in Brest in 1944.
    Look at the officer's rank tab...
    Attached Files

is it an SS tab on a Heer tunic?

Comment

Maybe it is a Volkssturm officer?

Comment

What is this?

Hi,
        Take a look at the left sleeve of the officer in Anders' photo. Look at the sleeve just above his elbow and a little bit down from where his left wrist is postioned, is that part of an SS sleeve eagle peeking out? What do you think?
        Thanks.

dukhunter

Comment

Honestly, to me that first photo looks like a staged reenactment shot. The guys in the back seem to be quite tall for the 40s. Just my impression....

Comment

Might be right Markus,,,good eye...Billbert

Comment

If you look at the position of the breast eagle it appears to be "stuck" on, look how off center the eagle is and high above the pocket it sits. Compare the wreath to the position of the button on the pocket. To me the breast eagle just looks "odd" and out of place.

Regards,

Comment

Originally posted by Anders S View Post
                Someone sent me this photo and it's said to have been taken in Brest in 1944.
                Look at the officer's rank tab...
                Can you enlarge the photo of the officer at the right ?
                cheers
                Gary

Comment

Looks staged to me too .... but I feel I recognise the guy on the right ... either from a film or from a photo ... just somewhere.

Ian.

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Wood View Post
                    Can you enlarge the photo of the officer at the right ?
                    cheers
                    Gary

Here you are.

If this photo is period or not, I don't know, weird insignia anyway.
                    Attached Files

Comment

No ribbons .... show me an SD-Sturmbannfuhrer without even a KVKII ribbon, hocus pocus insignia and cap, far too clear resolution, and that guy's still bugging me.

Ian.

Comment

Originally posted by Ian Hulley View Post
                        No ribbons .... show me an SD-Sturmbannfuhrer without even a KVKII ribbon, hocus pocus insignia and cap, far too clear resolution, and that guy's still bugging me.

Ian.
                        I can't comment about the ribbons, but regarding the resolution I can say they knew how to take clear pics in the 40's.

Look at this pic taken by the famous Robert Capa.
                        Attached Files

Comment

That first photo doesn´t seem old to me. Doesn´t give me the right feeling, so to say...

Comment

Originally posted by markus View Post
                            Honestly, to me that first photo looks like a staged reenactment shot. The guys in the back seem to be quite tall for the 40s. Just my impression....
                            Reenactment picture could be! But,

To tall not, Could you remember the picture of 2 Heer soldiers with a greatcoat?
                            1 Was 1,5 taller then the other.

I can't find the picture at the moment but still... : Size does'nt matter

Comment

for my view a 100% reenactment photo, and even the prisoner on the left looks like "new" to me with his meat on.
                              Last edited by Robert H; 11-11-2007, 12:36 PM.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X