UniformsNSDAP

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Strange Officers Collar Tab Embroidery - is this original?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Strange Officers Collar Tab Embroidery - is this original?

I have seen variations of this almost bevo-like embroidery that have been considered original - it's a strange short-stitch type of work that makes the runes look choppy on the edges, in my opinion. Does anyone know (or strongly believe) that this is an acceptable original pattern of tab? s/f Robert
    Attached Files

Note the edge trim coming together in the middle of the tab, not on a corner -
    Attached Files

Comment

Robert,
      its an original tab and i have seen many tabs where the piping is attached so.
      cheers
      Gary
      PS see thread below from a few days ago

SS Tab Good/Bad? - Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums

Comment

Thanks Gary, and let me echo the sentiments in the thread you directed me to - what a great site! The collective experience and helpful attitude is just wonderful.

s/f Robert

Comment

Rank tab

Robert, can I please see the front of the rank tab? In addition I have seen a matching set of this style tab where the piping meets at the bottom center of the rune tab and tucks in and thus is visible from the front, then the matching rank tab was just like yours, intertwined which makes it very difficult to see where the piping meets on the front when it is sewn down. Hope this makes sense.

Comment

Well, I admit that this is the first one I've ever seen with the piping tied like that. I've never even seen this type in books before. So, here I've learned something new again...

Maybe I am wrong, but I would suspect that tabs of this unusual type are harder to sell to some collectors and dealers who may not be aware that this was an actual production method. The only reason I think of this is because I may now consider buying this type in the future, since I now know them to be correct. Just curious about comparative retail values and collector/dealer acceptance issues, if I should ever want to resell one like this.

Thanks in advance for any answers to my questions.

Chris

Comment

I'll ask again on this thread....is this a Dachau-made tab?

Comment

Originally posted by Leroy View Post
                I'll ask again on this thread....is this a Dachau-made tab?
                Leroy,
                No not IMO.
                cheers
                Gary

Comment

Thanks!
                  So others used the white stitching on the back?

Comment

yes

Comment

Dachau

Leroy, I do not think this is a Dachau made tab. We have seen many insignia groupings from Veterans who collected their material from Dachau and I do not remember this tab appearing in any of these groups. Of course it could have been made at Dachau and other locations. If you look at these tabs under a loop they are much more impressive and of course the pictures do not show how flashy they really are in person. They have the attractive, yet subdued shine produced by unprotected aluminum wire. I think it is simply inappropriate to label this a Dachau tab without any evidence, circumstantial or otherwise, at this point.

Comment

Thanks for the information! I asked because I have a pair of these and (unwisely) just assumed they were Dachau because of the white stitching.

Comment

Please

Leroy can you post them? Front and back, please.

Comment

Originally posted by Leroy View Post
                            Thanks for the information! I asked because I have a pair of these and (unwisely) just assumed they were Dachau because of the white stitching.

The stitching you see on these tabs should be either the stitching that is holding the piping on or a hand applied position line.

The lines associated with the dachau tabs, i say lines as there would be 2, one is a cutting line the other is a position line, normally you only see the position line on the dachau tabs as they have cut along the other, this line can also be found on machine embroidered items not associated with the dachau insignia like allgemeine-ss tabs and raute's and pre 42 tabs with rzm/ss paper labels.
                            cheers
                            Gary
                            PS I have bumped a thread titled "a question for herr lumsden" where dachau tabs were discussed,

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...ad.php?t=42629
                            Last edited by Gary Wood; 11-10-2007, 12:12 PM.

Comment

Here's the rank tab -
                              Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X