SS Tab Good/Bad?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SS Tab Good/Bad?

I am posting a picture of this tab because there seems to be opinions for and against. Some people like it and some people are not comfortable with it, I would like to get the opinions of various Forum members. I borrowed these pictures from P. Lukas' site.
    Attached Files

Its an original version or something like a "flat wire" embroidered tab. Usually less expensive than the bullion one.

Hope this helps Doc?

Comment

nothing wrong witn it at all. Just a varient using a finely twisted wire.

Greg

Comment

Nice original tab
        cheers
        Gary

Comment

original later war style rune collar tab

Comment

Here is a worn and tunic removed example of this type. It was in a document lot of a US Army glider mecanic.
            Attached Files

Comment

the back
              Attached Files

Comment

Thanks !!!!

NOW THAT"S AN ANSWER !! Thanks Gerd and thanks everybody else. I personally like this type of tab, I just had a few fellow collectors question its authenticity. I put one under a loop and I thought it looked very Third Reich with the interwoven strands of correct bullion.

Comment

Wow.....

What a Phenomenal exchange of GOOD Information!!!

This is PART of what make this Forum GREAT!!...... Dave/dblmed

Comment

Is this a Dachau-made officer's tab?

Comment

I love these tabs. IMO they are called the BeVo flat wire style. Used by NCOs and officers with the added piping. The totenkopfs are also gorgeous when done in this style.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Dalton View Post
                        I love these tabs. IMO they are called the BeVo flat wire style. Used by NCOs and officers with the added piping. The totenkopfs are also gorgeous when done in this style.
                        You are confusing this style, which is machine-embroidered, with the style commonly called "BeVo," which is machine-woven.

This style was a late-war development, intended to automate the manufacture of officer tabs, which had previously only been done by slow and costly hand-embroidery. These runes were machine-embroidered onto wool felt and the bullion piping was then attached by hand. They are rarely found without the bullion piping and I am not aware of a totenkopf version.

The runes on the flatwire machine-woven (aka "BeVo") tabs were, by contrast, woven directly into the fabric, which was made of rayon, rather than wool. They are usually found without piping, though some had piping added for officer use. These did come in both runic and TK styles.

Comment

Originally posted by dblmed View Post
                          What a Phenomenal exchange of GOOD Information!!!

This is PART of what make this Forum GREAT!!...... Dave/dblmed

I agree. I was just telling another forum member that up until the good doctor started this thread, I had mixed feelings on these particular tabs. It's good to know that they are in fact original, late-war production pieces.

You learn something new every day.

Rob

Comment

Information

Well in addition to the comments on the Forum I have gotten calls and e mails stating these are absolutely real. Mike Beaver apparently had quite a few sets that he got directly from a Vet. according to one of my sources. Of course Gerd's tab is my favorite so far and a slight variation of this tab is supposed to be in my hands soon. Same structure different backing. Standby for photos!

Comment

Looks like a really nice tab!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 8 users online. 0 members and 8 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X