Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

old style fieldcap used by EM ranks???

Hello,
    Can anybody tell me if the 1937 type old style fieldcap (with either soft leather or wool visor) as worn by NCO's and officers, was also (occasionally) worn by EM ranks? If so, some pictoral reference would be much appreciated!!! o

A photo was only posted in the forum a couple of weeks ago showing this. A search should find it

Cheers, Ade.

Comment

To answer your question - yes. I started a thread a few weeks back as already mentionned.

Comment

Everything would be possible.
        I've seen a picture of SS employed as Home Guards or Volkssturm but in full SS uniform and insignas with WWI Austro-Hungarian feldkappe!!

Cheers
        T

Comment

M37 is not really the most accurate description for these peaked field caps as they were first issued to nco's and men of the SS in 1934/35.
          Derek

Comment

I've always refered to it as M38 (Mollo cites that year) but period photo's seem to indicate a earlier usage
            __________________________________________________ _______________
            Cheers Steve

Comment

Here are some nco's from The early Wurttemburg detachment wearing their field caps with cloth covered peaks during the winter of 1934/35. Other detachments of the Politische Bereitschaften show all ranks wearing this field cap during these early years of the SS-VT.
              Derek

Comment

NCO issue for sure BUT enlisted ranks??Billbert

Comment

Billbert,
                  Here are members of the band of SS "1" in 1934, (before the number was added to their collar patches, so they wear a combination of runes or blank patches). You can see from the rank side that these are enlisted men and they have all been issued with the same field cap as their nco. He wears his tie showing as befits his rank and they all sport the early pattern field smock.
                  Derek

Comment

Derek
                    Thanks for the foto.. I guess maybe these OLD Guard early members quickly filled the NCO rank later on.. MY Bad..Thanks!!Billbert
                    Always something new or and great to learn it with period fotos..

Comment

Originally posted by derek View Post
                      Billbert,
                      Here are members of the band of SS "1" in 1934, (before the number was added to their collar patches, so they wear a combination of runes or blank patches). You can see from the rank side that these are enlisted men and they have all been issued with the same field cap as their nco. He wears his tie showing as befits his rank and they all sport the early pattern field smock.
                      Derek

Derek,
                      As always great information,
                      Thanks.
                      Gary

Comment

many thanks for your replies!!!

Gentlemen,
                        Many thanks for your replies! Been off the the internet for a couple of days, but it's a pleasant surprise to see so many usefull replies and that picture is great reference ! Would be interesting to see a war-time picture depicting the same use by EM's, if any exist. But I believe to have read once in a thread on the axis history forum that the cloth visor caps were predominantly worn during the war by officer ranks in the former VT regiments and TK division (who I guess would have worn the same caps holding EM and/or NCO ranks in those standarten before the war). Still, I have no idea if this is true...

Comment

one more thing...

Before I forget, I know of at least two variatons of this type of visor, one as pictured (which is also visible on many pictures of totenkopfverbÀnde men between 1937 and 1939) and one war-time type that has a much thicker black velvet cap band and also a much larger wool visor. Does anybody know when the latter type was introduced?

Comment

I have seen war time pic with a cloth billed cap worn by an EM but the frustrating thing about photos is that you can't ever find them again when you need them.

Comment

I emailed Onno a picture of one in wear by a Sturmmann sporting an M42 tunic, clearly showing they were worn into the war and in a book on the 12SS theres a picture of an LAH NCO also wearing one during the 1942-44 period (assumption). Onno feel free to post it, I had found it on ebay a few years ago.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X