SS pin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SS pin

I dont have doubts in the originality in this one, but the future new owner would like the opnion of the forum friends:

And why the back is a little diferent from this nice one showed here:

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=220884

Thanks in advance.

Any good fellow to help?

Comment

I don´t know much about these but as fare as I know the GES.GSCH on those are a good sign and IMO a nice original

Cheers
      Lars

Comment

i think you will find this type is bad, contact raymond g as he collects these. regards, mark
        i have just done a quick search and found this http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...ht=SS+STICKPIN
        Last edited by markie; 11-02-2007, 05:01 PM.

Comment

It have a COA by Detlev Nieman...
          Sad to read it could be a copy...

Maybe Mr. Griffiths or Mr. Lumsden could help?
          Last edited by clevischi; 11-02-2007, 05:52 PM.

Comment

a copy pin for sure

Comment

Hi

I have seen one of these pins on a couple of occasions and have always viewed them with an eye of suspicion.

The construction technique is unlike the standard pin we see, which is a two part construction of the disc and pin.

This one appear to be three, with a disc, backing plate and then a pin affixed in a different, and rather crude, manner.

I was in a discussion with a collector friend about a month ago. He assures me that he picked one of multi-construction types up directly from a vet many, many years ago, before the proliferation of faked SS-ZA pins.

I happen to trust him on this, and I think he put his money where his mouth is and bought one of these types recently.

In conclusion, if you want a textbook SS-ZA pin, then I would pass on this one and get one of the standard constuction pins.

I suppose the acid test is if I was offered one, would I buy it? The answer would be no.

Raymond
              Last edited by Raymond Griffiths; 11-03-2007, 04:54 AM.

Comment

I like to thanks Mr. Griffiths and everyone who helped in this thread.

I bought the pin here at E-stand a few months ago from a respeitable member, so a think i will not to have some problems in sending it back.

Just for curiosity, the DN COA :

Comment

Hi Carlos

This type of pin is a matter of opinion.

The friend who bought one from a vet years ago is a trusted source and I believe him. He was not trying to sell one to me, but talking generally about them. That, in my opinion, gave me some hope for these multi-construction pins.

On saying that, why would you change production techniques from a cheaper method, to one that I imagine was more expensive?

I am always cautious when condemning different types of pins, just because they deviate from the norm and like to have a very good body of evidence to argue my case. It may be that this one turns out to be good further down the line, but it is certainly not one that I would want today.

If a member has some compelling evidence about its orginality, then nothing would give me greater pleasure than learning more about this type of pin.

Raymond
                  Last edited by Raymond Griffiths; 11-03-2007, 10:27 AM.

Comment

Thanks again, Raymond.

And a weird part of the history is that this kind of pin have a really nice finish.
                    Not even close comparing with this poor fakes that we see on market.

Comment

All these days i compared pics and more pics of the forum with my one (sure i sould did it before... ) but i take this conclusion about the numbers printed:

The back of my pin have the same patern of the numbers from some pins examples took in the forum.

The 3 and 9 are the same fonts.

And now the 7 has the same pattern.

Its more easier just to send back... but its more fun to study why this kind of pin is just so suspicion.

Comment

Hi Carlos

Good work.

Can you post up some close-ups of the maker mark on your pin and I will try and do the same later today.

Raymond

Comment

Here's a picture of the obverse and reverse of my Hoffstätter SS-ZA. Notice the difference on the face of this one and the one that started this thread, particularly the width and spacing of the double silver rings.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Reverse. Standard construction, completely different font:
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by Rob Johnson; 11-05-2007, 05:11 PM.

Comment

And the whole pin:
                              Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X