Waffen-SS Tropical Overseas Cap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Waffen-SS Tropical Overseas Cap

I was researching Waffen-SS overseas caps in the tropical motif, and found this thread:

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...ropical+ss+cap

According to this thread the Waffen-SS never wore a tropical colored over seas caps, yet in another thread I believe that Bob aknowledged an original that was featured in the book "Headgear of Hitlers Germany Vol 2". He attributed the hat to an American doctor who was tasked with finding clothes for inmates of the camps. The Moderator of the thread stated that Waffen-SS did wear the tropical side cap, but from Luftwaffe stock, not made exclusivly for SS. The cap featured in the thread is from Kit Wilsons book (I have heard good and bad on some pieces shown). Here is the thread with Bob's comments:

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...ht=ss+tropical

I am in the process of aquiring one from a well known collector, and want to ensure that these hats were worn, or at least made for Waffen-SS troops in tropical climates. The cap I am purchasing does not have a pink liner, it is a tropical color, and is not stamped SS-BW. Once I get the cap for inspection I can post some photos, but until then any period photos, or regualtions for wear of this item?

Thanks.
    Last edited by BlackBelt; 10-16-2007, 07:52 AM.

If this is coming from one of the 'well known collectors' who said your skull was OK then I'd post pics here before parting with a cent.

Ian.

Comment

That skull is a good one and one of those Unissued piece we find everywhere.Eagle as well looks good IMO

Comment

Originally posted by Ian Hulley View Post
        If this is coming from one of the 'well known collectors' who said your skull was OK then I'd post pics here before parting with a cent.

Ian.
        LOL! I am not paying for anything yet. No this is not the same person. You would be shock at the names of the collectors that said the skull was good. So thats still in the air .LOL!
        Last edited by BlackBelt; 10-16-2007, 08:30 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by lelez View Post
          That skull is a good one and one of those Unissued piece we find everywhere.Eagle as well looks good IMO
          I am not inquiring about the one featured, just whether the Waffen-SS actually wore them, were made for them etc. Thanks though.

Comment

Ian.
            Hi Lelez, the skull I refer to is the 'moustachio' fake Deschler posted by our friend Blackbelt over the weekend and allegedly confirmed as authentic by 'well known experts'

If the same 'experts' are selling him a tropical sidecap he needs to be warned .

Ian.

Comment

Yes the waffen ss did wear tropical overseas caps but they are VERY rare.Yes there are fotos of ss wearings them..but not many..Yes that overseas cap came from a Doctor along with an SS tropical billed cap..Billbert

Comment

Hi Lelez, the skull I refer to is the 'moustachio' fake Deschler posted by our friend Blackbelt over the weekend and allegedly confirmed as authentic by 'well known experts'

If the same 'experts' are selling him a tropical sidecap he needs to be warned .

Ian.

Ian,

The skull I posted is not a "moustash" fake, I am well aware of that style as also confirmed by other members. I am not saying the skull is real or fake, but certainly not the common "moustash." Also I am not a novice collector, although I do really appreciate you looking out for my best interest, I believe all collectors should do so, and this is a great site for that. SS Tropical is scarce, which is why I created the post to see some period photos, and clarification on the usage of these caps by SS. Beleive it or not, there are some collectors that feel the skull is authentic. Some of the people who looked at the skull in person said it was authentic, and made multiple offers on the skull over a 4 year period. These people are well known, and published, lets just leave it there. I did not state this fact to smear anyone, simply a point of reference. I am not saying the skull that as posted is real, I wanted some opinions only. The "moustash" fakes are a more modern phenomenom, this skull has been around since the 1970's, and is 100% traceable to the donator.

Lets keep this thread on topic.
                Last edited by BlackBelt; 10-16-2007, 09:25 AM.

Comment

Talking about TK's, there are people who think that there was just one pattern of TK's, well that is very wrong, not only one maker but more and they differ in the grin and other details, some have a line above the eyes and some dont, ask our friend Tony, he should tell you more about it

Comment

Originally posted by Schwarz View Post
                    Talking about TK's, there are people who think that there was just one pattern of TK's, well that is very wrong, not only one maker but more and they differ in the grin and other details, some have a line above the eyes and some dont, ask our friend Tony, he should tell you more about it

Yep your 100% correct on that. However I would like to keep this thread on topic. Tropical SS overseas cap. Thanks though.

Comment

Yes, they were worn by the Waffen-SS and i have several good photos but unfortunatly i cannot post pics here

Comment

Originally posted by BlackBelt View Post
                        Beleive it or not, there are some collectors that feel the skull is authentic. Some of the people who looked at the skull in person said it was authentic, and made multiple offers on the skull over a 4 year period. These people are well known, and published, lets just leave it there.
                        I don't care what books they have written; anyone who said that TK is original has no clue about metal SS cap insignia. It is an OBVIOUS POS. If someone offered to buy it from you, you should have accepted!

Brad

Comment

Is that a sarcastic reference to me?

Are you still going on about this piece of junk?

Comment

Yes, they were worn by the Waffen-SS and i have several good photos but unfortunatly i cannot post pics here

Thanks for the info. Can you tell me what source they are from (books, articles etc)?

Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by TonyS View Post
                              Is that a sarcastic reference to me?

Are you still going on about this piece of junk?

I am not questioning any of the items shown on the threads, I used them only as a point of reference on some collectors that stated the caps were never used, and some that said they were. I am looking for photos or regualtions that discuss the Waffen-SS wearing tropical overseas caps.
                              Last edited by BlackBelt; 10-16-2007, 10:01 AM.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X