• Time
  • Show
Clear All

SS Drill Tunic

This sold today for £1200

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...1802%26fvi%3D1

Here are some extra pics that the seller sent

tunic

The tunic is good, that's clear, but the insignia is where the risk lies if you are willing to pay that kind of money for a salty HBT tunic... The eagle is no good, the SS flashes are not alligned right and the rank collar tab appears to be too rectangular (too stretched)... Nick
    Last edited by NickG; 08-04-2007, 04:23 PM.

Comment

Looks to me like a Police tunic with SS insignias added.

Comment

Another fool and his money have parted for different locations! Shame but it happens all the time and we cannot stop 99.9% of it. Just the way it goes. Just be glad you are the fool.

Bob

Comment

Indeed it is a Polizei pattern tunic as the skirt pockets are non pleated and the breast pockets are! Good observation! Only the color is not the blue-ish Polizei green you would expect, so I was not paying attention to that dead give-away detail... Its a good tunic made into a Waffen SS piece for the unsuspected collector...

Comment

Originally posted by NickG View Post
            Indeed it is a Polizei pattern tunic as the skirt pockets are non pleated and the breast pockets are! Good observation! Only the color is not the blue-ish Polizei green you would expect, so I was not paying attention to that dead give-away detail... Its a good tunic made into a Waffen SS piece for the unsuspected collector...
            SS Drill tunics had non pleated waist pockets and pleated breast pockets
            cheers, Martin.

Comment

Originally posted by Martin Stiles View Post
              SS Drill tunics had non pleated waist pockets and pleated breast pockets
              cheers, Martin.
              regarding pocket pleats comment....really? and I guess they also had a 6 button front as this tunic has???? I'll check my Beaver book tonight, but I don't think so... I really have my doubts on this one! Thats a classic Police configuration as stated earlier! No exceptions!!!Nick
              Last edited by NickG; 08-08-2007, 02:25 PM.

Comment

Early SS drill tunics had lower slash pockets and normally the setup for belt hooks i.e. 3 holes either four sets or two sets on the earth brown drill.

Comment

Originally posted by NickG View Post
                  regarding pocket pleats comment....really? and I guess they also had a 6 button front as this tunic has???? I'll check my Beaver book tonight, but I don't think so... I really have my doubts on this one! Nick
                  Do let us know what you find in your references?

Comment

Beaver book on drill tunics

Originally posted by Martin Stiles View Post
                    Do let us know what you find in your references?
                    Beaver's book illustrates either pleated all the way (and 6 button is infact a possibility, not just 5) OR pleated breast and internal slanted (slash) hip pockets (earlier style), meaning pocket flaps shown only.
                    Pleated uppers and unpleated lower patch pockets would be polizei configuration, but I have seen ONLY 2 period pictures of this combination with SS use...so that's clearly an exception and its not even clear if those were HBT (drillich) uniforms. You have any proof showing the contrary? Nick
                    Last edited by NickG; 08-08-2007, 02:21 PM.

Comment

I think id be safe to say from the things that ive seen and heard about on here and the reality of the situation is that its possible that they were wearing ANY and all style of drill tunics in addition to other material of lightweight and practical use for work in the heat over the other options they had for wear. Good example of that is SS wearing army made, marked and issued drill items that they got their hands on as they became accessible which seems most likely. I believe there is even a drill tunic listed in the beaver books which shows this and i know ive seen a reed green ss statni marked drill tunic from Peter Whammonds site at one time.
                      Last edited by pete; 08-08-2007, 02:39 AM.

Comment

Here is an original showing very hard useage that I will painstakingly be restoring. It has the shadows and holes where the eagle was, remnant threads and shadow of a cufftitle, shadows or collar tabs and holes from pips that were pushed through the collar it can be clearly seen it was a Hauptsturmfuhrer because even the litze somehow left indents. He had three awards and a ribbon bar only three loops remain though the rest were ripped off. The remains of the SS Rzm tag are just a fragment of black cloth and an outline of the tag.
                        This one had the Dark green collar added later as a personal tailored preference by the officer.
                        I think this piece demonstrates what field worn and used tunics must've looked like at the end of the war. A thrill for me because I like the stuff that was actually worn..this one by a highly decorated SS captain.
                        Last edited by John Pic; 12-23-2007, 03:58 PM.

Comment

Yes mate it looks 100 times better then a mint looking one that you cant be sure it was ever used, let alone was always used by an SS wearer and not rebadged for whatever reason in the post war period. Its not untouched as everyone would love but its real, id be happy with that one even after restored. Of course, we would all like a mint one with 100% provenance or a very good proof chance it was probably always SS.

Best,

Pete
                          Last edited by pete; 08-08-2007, 01:34 PM.

Comment

Mine has 6 buttons and no pleats, on the pockets. Bevo runic tab, bevo rank tab and bevo eagle.

Bob Hritz
                            Attached Files
                            In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king.

Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can muffle the sound.

Comment

If you look close you can see where the eagle was sewn as well. Very low on the sleeve,not in the "textbook" position.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X