Have You Read This Article?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Have You Read This Article?

While not strictly a uniform/insignia item, I must recommend the compelling article How I Spent The War, by Gunther Grass, in the June 4, 2007 issue of The New Yorker. This is the first-hand story of a Waffen-SS recruit in the late-war period, how he survived and what he saw, including the discarding of his SS tunic to avoid immediate execution. Trust me, this is a must-read.

Available online here:

http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2...4fa_fact_grass

Comment

Great stuff.

Comment

I am advised by other members that this article may be a fabrication (see identical post on Cloth Headgear Forum); I have no way of knowing, and apparently the New Yorker may have been duped as well. If so, I apologize to the membership; either way, it is a hell of a story.

Comment

If you want a good account then I recommend this book below written by my friend, served in the TK flak during the war and the british army after the war
          cheers
          Gary
          Last edited by Gary Wood; 09-01-2008, 02:14 PM.

Comment

I saw him sit in an Restaurant

I saw G******252;nther Grass sit in an Restaurant,he's only an old harmless old men!

He told in German TV he was Ladesch******252;tze(Load gunner) in a tank and survive only cause he holed up under the tank not an super hero!

Comment

Spongebob?

Okay now I have seen it all. Spongebob SS Squarepants !!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

I would assume most survivors of WWII would appear quite old and harmless at this point, as most of us will in our 80s. Thanks, Gary, for the reference. For those interested, a parallel thread on the Cloth Headgear Forum will offer further insight.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                X