SS officer rank tab cut collar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SS officer rank tab cut collar

The vet had the runes tab to match this, but he wouldn't part with it. This still has the "original" traces of mud in the groves of the pips in a couple of places. The vet passed away several years ago, and, I am told, the family threw away the remaining stuff that he brought back. He had no children, and his second wife didn't think anyone would want it.

Ron

Very nice I love stuff like that,it tells a story.

Comment

I Agree! Just like we want them to be Thanks for sharing!

kind regards,
      Gerd V

Comment

Very cool!

What I find curious is how the pips are pushed all the way through the tab AND the collar, and not just through the tab itself before being sewn to the collar. I wonder how often this was the case?

Thanks for sharing . . .

Brad

Comment

Brad,

Actually that is a common occurance. Nothing to raise red flags about.

Bob

Comment

Very nice Ron

Comment

This is the kind of stuff I really love! Ohhh my goodness they threw it away!!!!! Thats easliy USD 1500 or up to USD 2000 wasted!! Money apart, what matters is that a historical jewel went lost for ever!

"Felix" - N. Hansson
              Last edited by Felix; 05-20-2007, 09:46 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Brad Long View Post
                Very cool!

What I find curious is how the pips are pushed all the way through the tab AND the collar, and not just through the tab itself before being sewn to the collar. I wonder how often this was the case?

Thanks for sharing . . .

Brad
                Also interesting to see how the guy added rank braid when he was promoted. Are these rank braids just folded on the ends or actually go behind the tab?

Comment

"Also interesting to see how the guy added rank braid when he was promoted. Are these rank braids just folded on the ends or actually go behind the tab?"

I have examined it as closely as I can with a loupe, and as best as I can determine the piece of braid closest to the piping appears to be folded on the ends for sure. At each end there is a "hump" that is about 3/16th's of a inch long, which I believe is caused by the folding of the ends. The other one does not appear to have these "humps", and I cannot tell for sure; however, I doubt that it goes behind the tab. The machine sewn threads of the tab do not seem to have been disturbed. It may be that a slight edge of the braid is pushed under the edge of the tab that is outside of the machine stitch line. The piping is pushed outward slightly along the edges of the braid pieces on both sides of the tab, and there is a lot of hand stitches in these areas. I think when the first piece of braid went on the pip it is under was likely removed and put back on to help hold it. I say this because I think when it went back on it was in a slightly twisted position, or slightly different angle to the others (look at the points of the pips closely). It doesn't show well in the picture of the back, but, also, the prong toward the center of the tab went into the original hole..........but the other prong didn't get back into it's original hole (which doesn't show well in the photo, but does with a loupe in person).

Ron

Comment

Originally posted by Ron C. View Post
                    I think when the first piece of braid went on the pip it is under was likely removed and put back on to help hold it.
                    Ron, the the prong under the black thread tells me that it was in place when the first piece of braid went on.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Brad Long View Post
                      Very cool!

Thanks for sharing . . .

Brad
                      I think the pips were added after the collar tab is because to "make room" (on edges of the tab) for a sewing machine "to go on" (if you know what I mean).

Comment

A really interesting piece for sure !

Comment

Originally posted by bnz. 42 View Post
                          Ron, the the prong under the black thread tells me that it was in place when the first piece of braid went on.
                          I agree it was on when the stitch went in, but there is definitely an extra hole for the one prong that is stitched over. That pip is not set at the same angle as the others. I think it is likely it was taken loose, then put back over the braid to help hold it in place.........then the stitching took place. Just an opinion.

Ron

Comment

A great piece. What a pity about the runic tab.

Comment

Originally posted by bnz. 42 View Post
                              I agree it was on when the stitch went in, but there is definitely an extra hole for the one prong that is stitched over. That pip is not set at the same angle as the others. I think it is likely it was taken loose, then put back over the braid to help hold it in place.........then the stitching took place, or it was twisted in the angle slightly by pushing the braid under it. The extra hole makes me think though it was taken loose though. I have posted a couple of shots to try to point out what I am talking about. Just an opinion.

Ron

Didn't show up too well.....so, here is a blow-up of the area to show the material that has been disturbed by the prong going through the material.

And the allignment I was trying to convey.
                              Last edited by Ron C.; 05-20-2007, 03:23 PM. Reason: Add a photo

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X