I'm looking for period photos of an M40 tunic in italian camo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm looking for period photos of an M40 tunic in italian camo

try the book steel rain in one of the chapters ther is the photo you are loking for, is a sbap shot of four HJ soldiers one of them has the four pocket tunic, then there is another of max wunche, and is another italian camo four pocket tunic, and the last one I know of is of an offcier giving directions and that he has a rank patch

Comment

This is the only Italian camouflaged jacket that I've ever seen that I believe was real. Actually I've only seen this picture of it. Willi said he bought it back in 1975 from Militaria, Inc. in Kearny, NJ for $89. It came with reproduction cavalry enlisted shoulder straps but a well-seated bevo sleeve eagle. He replaced the shoulder straps with original SS-Unterscharfuhrer of Artillery. He also bought a new made Italian camouflaged two-button front M1943 field cap with no insignia. He told me he figured he'd NEVER find an original cap so this was as good as it got. He sold both pieces off many years ago with SS-Unterschafuhrer of Sanitatsdienst shoulder straps - giving the buyer a choice of straps.

As you can see the buttons are covered, much like a panzer or assault gun jacket and there was a draw string in the bottom. Twin upper patch pockets with buttoned flaps. Hope this helps.

I'd be interested if anybody has seen this jacket in the community... wondering if it still has the medical straps on it.

Bob

Comment

Last edited by User Name; 04-06-2008, 02:26 PM.

Comment

There are MANY variations of these "italian camo" tunics, it will be best to post some good pics of the items in question. I have no doubt that there were period tunics in the M44 style made of this particular fabric.

The first color picture doesn't show a tunic but a coverall, these were very common with SS Grenadier-Regiment 25 (HJ) I believe. The variety of items made on unit or private level is more or less endless. And your pictures show very well that the common association of this pattern with SS units is not valid...it was in good use with the heer and luftwaffe as well.

Here is one more picture from a dealer's site...I hope he doesnn't mind .

Cheers

Fritz
          Attached Files

Comment

Last edited by Etienne B.; 05-12-2007, 05:53 PM.

Comment

Hi,

Nice photos,very interesting

Etienne

Comment

After looking your pictures over I can say that IMO not all show the italian style camo ( like 4 and 5 )....4 is a sniper that appears to be part of a mixed combat squad of ss and lw wearing a lw field divison tunic and the men in 5 wearing regular splinter zeltbahnen as camo ponchos...

Cheers

Fritz

Comment

I agree with Fritz... not all of these pictures were of Italian camouflage. Also, it appears that most, if not all, garments made with the Italian camouflaged material were FIELD MADE. The only exception to that were the late-war anoraks with the Italian camouflage material on the outside. The vast majority of these went unissued and you can find them in mint condition. I believe Mike Beaver gives us a picture of one being worn during the Battle of Berlin. These were factory made.

I thought that one color photo of an Italian camouflaged jacket was the one that Willi owned many years ago, but as you can see the buttons on the front are exposed and there's no drawstring on the bottom. I thought somebody added collar tabs to it. Close, but no cigar!

Bob

Comment

Originally posted by Bobwirtz View Post
                    The only exception to that were the late-war anoraks with the Italian camouflage material on the outside.

Bob
                    These and Zeltbahnen...There is one picture of Anoraks posted here...The guys sitting on the jeep.

Cheers

Fritz

Comment

z

heres a original its my mates the others are mine
                      Attached Files

Comment

\

\
                        Attached Files

Comment

a

very faded it came from normandy,trying to but it but he wants one off my spottys for it
                          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by hayleyp View Post
                            very faded it came from normandy,trying to but it but he wants one off my spottys for it
                            this one is uncomon,what is your option abaut?is this field made item?

Comment

Originally posted by besslein View Post
                              this one is uncomon,what is your option abaut?is this field made item?
                              my mistake,I think this one is m43 field tunic,now I see its so fadet italian camo

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X