Rexist Insignia grouping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rexist Insignia grouping

These patches came with a small group of the usual run-of- the- mill German insignias and badges from an area veteran's estate. This is the first time I have ever gotten any of these in many years of vet buying. Took me a while to figure out exactly what they were! Jeunesse Legionaire patch may have been green at one point and has faded to a sick light bluish. I would imagine the Vlaamsche Wacht badges are fairly rare? It is different from the one in Littlejohn's book as that one looks printed and woven and applied to a backing.
    Attached Files

Very nice Flemish & Walloon cloth!

Comment

I second that, especially the Vlaamse Wacht cloth !
      Can you take pics of the back ?

Mark

Comment

Here it is
        Attached Files

Comment

Exciting material you have there !

The "Vlaamse Wacht" (translated as 'Flemish Guard') was an armed forced in Flanders/Belgium which existed between 1941 and 1944. They provided guard duties together with the German "Landesschutzen Batalions" and protected public buildings, bridges, railways, etc..

The approx. 2600 members (in 1944) of the "Vlaamse Wacht" had the same duties and followed instruction of the German Wehrmacht, and were usually military trained men obviously with a pronounced political opinion.

The Vlaamse Wacht received initially khaki Belgian army uniforms, then dark blue painted Belgian uniforms, and as from mid 1944 German field-gray Wehrmacht uniforms.

They were organized in four sections. Section I (Afdeling I) with garrison in Gent, Section II (Afdeling II) in Antwerpen, Section III (Afdeling III) in Brugge and Section IV (Afdeling IV) in Brussels.
          (Source: Vlaanderen in Uniform, Vincx)

Here you see the insignia on a "Vlaamse Wacht Afdeling II" peaked cap, on top of a period 1942 newspaper, called Volk en Staat.

This was the VNV newspaper published in Antwerp. The VNV was one of the collaboration parties.

JS

Comment

whats these pieces of Flemish history doing in Holland ? Bring it on home

Nice pieces ! Would love to see pics of the cap !

Also any reason why the I on the patch is in red ? I thought they were all the standard yellowish.

Mark

Comment

I'm far from an expert in this field, but in the military museum in Brussels, I have seen two Vlaamse Wacht peaked cap. The first one for Afdeling I (section I) has red piping arount he crown and above and below the cap band. The cockade is red too. All insigina (oakleaves, number I) are metal silver colored.

The other cap is for Afdeling II (section II),is completely the same, but with yellow piping and a yellowish cockade.

JS

Comment

and a Vlaamse Wacht tunic for Afdeling I with red facing colors can be seen here

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...=26867&page=42

JS

Comment

Always willing to give those Vlaamse Wacht insignia a good flemisch home

Best,

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                  X