• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am agreement with the members above, who expressed concerns
    Bob

Comment

details

Thanks guys for your input. I would like to get more specific if possible, so we can learn here.

1. Which insignia is real, and which is not?

As for the cuff title, I can see that it is different from others that I have seen, but with the wear on it, even on the inside where it would rub against the body, it looks convincing to me.

2. What about the lower pockets?

I looked on a thread about coastal artillery, and on alot of tunics, the lower pockets only have the flaps showing, so I assume this is the give-away. However, I've also seen some period pictures of SS tunics with a similar design. Please elaborate if you can.

3. The lining? Is this typical of coastal artillery?

4. Various methods of application of insignia.

I showed pictures of the stiching on the back of the edelweiss, the eagle, and the cufftitle. Each one appears to be different. I thought this was a good thing because it might be explained by each piece being added at different times. The eagle making it an SS tunic. Then later, the edelweiss, when the regiment went from the 6th SS Pz. Gren. to the the 11th SS Gebirgs. Regt.(1942), and lastly, the cufftitle, when it was awarded the honorary title (1943). Then, on top of that, light green piped boards with the number 6 on it (perhaps never changed).

Well, I thought it all seemed to make sense. Does anyone have anything else to say about all this?

Thanks again for your input.

Comment

What you have with the exception of the cufftitle is period insignias stitched correctly to a period tunic but done post WW2. What gives it away to me is just my gut and my experience with these things.Thats all I have going for me,Im no soothsayer when it comes to this.

Comment

Originally posted by Chad1 View Post
          2. What about the lower pockets?

I looked on a thread about coastal artillery, and on alot of tunics, the lower pockets only have the flaps showing, so I assume this is the give-away. However, I've also seen some period pictures of SS tunics with a similar design. Please elaborate if you can.
          The early SS-VT tunics had a similar lower slash pocket. This is most likely what you have seen.

Cheers, Ade.

Comment

faded threads

I think you guys might be right about it being a coastal artillery tunic, at least in terms of physical construction. I've looked at a bunch of pictures on the forum and there are some definite similarities.
            But I am still not totally convinced it wasn't used as an SS tunic.

While comparing the pictures of the eagle and the edelweiss, the stitching on the exterior is still black, while on the interior of the jacket, it appears to be very faded.

Could this be from rubbing against another garment while the tunic was worn?

If that was faked too, that's being pretty thorough. Kind of funny that they would get this detail right, but not even have a real cufftitle, or the right pattern tunic for that matter?

As for the cufftitle, does anybody have a picture of a truly identical example? Otherwise, who's to say it's a fake and not just a different version?

Lastly, for now, I don't see any evidence that there ever was a breast eagle or different collar tabs.
            Is there something that you guys can see in the pictures that gives it away?

Don't take any of this as being defensive or argumentative, I just have a lot of questions about this tunic that are still unanswered.

Thanks again for any more thoughtful feedback.

Comment

If you like it ,then enjoy it.Youve answered all your own questions and our opinions have been given. I wouldnt have that tunic as an example in my collection.

Comment

still unanswered

My intention was not to answer my own questions.

I was hoping to discuss the merit of the points I mentioned. These are the things that seemed to be the most convincing to me.

In a case like this, where the consensus is pretty much all negative, addressing the details can really help the minority guy out.

Whether or not you would have it in your own collection is great to know, but it doesn't help all that much. Thanks for the reply just the same though.

Comment

The cuff-title is fake and along with the other Fourum members concerns this is obviously a put-together tunic. PM me your e mail and I will send you a picture of a real RH cufftitle.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                  X