WW2Treasures

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SS skull button/ skull collar tab - Verfügungstruppe uniform ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SS skull button/ skull collar tab - Verfügungstruppe uniform ?

Who can tell me more about this soldier ? I'm no SS expert.....the soldier wears a oversea cap with a skull button and a (early?) uniform with a skull collar tab. Is he a member of the SS Verfügungstruppe ?

He is a member of the Totnekopfverbande, during the VT era. the white waffenfarbe, on his cap, tells me he is in Infantry training for combat.

The Totenkopfverband were contemporaries with the Verfugungstrupp soldiers, making the early transition from the Allgemeine-SS and Concentration Camp personnel to fighting soldiers.

Bob Hritz
    In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king.

Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can muffle the sound.

Comment

Totenkopfverbaende

Thank you for your quick and interesting informations . The next photo shows a soldier, who wears a steel helmet with SS decals and I think an uniform in a similar style (only some little differences). A further soldier of the early Totenkopfverbaende, isn't he ? Or not ?

Last edited by Leibhusar; 03-18-2007, 10:40 AM.

Comment

Hi Steven, yes once again a member of the SS-TV. The photo shows some nice early uniform details, such as the vertical collar tab, piped collar and feldbluse style shoulder straps.

Cheers, Ade.

Comment

Here is something similar as you can see from the black board in the background Prague 1940
          Last edited by Gary Wood; 09-01-2008, 02:24 PM.

Comment

To Ade:

Thank you for comment .

To Gary:

Nice photo My steel helmet photo owns a backside stamp from a photograph atelier in Prag too !!! The soldier wears an early uniform. Possible my photo was taken in the occupation time in Prag before the ww or at the beginning of ww2

Comment

Another Totenkopf photo from my collection. Sorry for the poor picture quality (no quality scan, only a quick photo with my old camera ) Again a skull collar tab (skull looks straight!) with the number 18....

Last edited by Leibhusar; 03-21-2007, 05:44 PM.

Comment

My problem is I don't own good SS uniform literature . Some comments about the soldier and his uniform would be a great help. Is it right, that early collar tabs with numbers were not allowed to wear during the war? Thanks !

Comment

Hi Steve, if you buy one book, just get Jack Angolia's book on cloth SS insignia. Long out of print but well worth having.

The collar tab shown in your pic is a rare variation and one if shown here would get lots of "ooh's and ahh's". The numeral shows he was a member of the 18th Sturm (Company) The shoulder straps are the early style with twisted cord piping. The tunic is an Army pattern M36.

Cheers, Ade.

Comment

Thanks again, Ade !

Who can tell me from which part of Germany is the 18th Sturm from ?
                    Last edited by Leibhusar; 03-22-2007, 02:43 PM.

Comment

And my other question again:

Is it the truth, that the early collar tabs (with numbers!) were not allowed to wear during the war?

Comment

Hi Steve, numbered tabs were worn until May 1940. In practice the change over took some time, so it is not impossible to see them worn for some time after the regulations came into effect.

Cheers, Ade.

Comment

The picture in post #7 is an interesting picture, early (jolly roger type) tk tab with number, and converted sew in straps to slip on straps.

cheers
                          Gary

Comment

Originally posted by Adrian Stevenson View Post
                            Hi Steve, numbered tabs were worn until May 1940. In practice the change over took some time, so it is not impossible to see them worn for some time after the regulations came into effect.

Cheers, Ade.
                            That's the answer that I needed .

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                            X