Need info on cap eagle...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need info on cap eagle...

I have tried to do some research on a cap eagle that I bought recently; I got it very cheap, and I have no illusions that it would turn out to be genuine. But it has spurred my curiousity...
    When shown in another forum, it was initially discussed as being one of those pigeon head fakes from the 1970s (although there was at least one collector who thought it might be a genuine prewar birdie!). However, as whown in the pics below, it is NOT a pigeon head eagle, and it does NOT look like the "M1/40" or "40"-marked fakes I have seen. It has a very blurred mark, which could be a faint RZM-mark, but it is totally illegible. To the left of this "mark" it reads "41" in faint relief. Does that mean that this is what the "standard "41"-marked fake" looks like? I have never seen one... <br>Maybe someone in this forum could give me some further input?<br>
    Here are my observations, when compared to "pigeon heads":<br>
    1) the eagle's head and the voids between the head and the wings look different
    2) the "top feather" to the talons does not look the same
    3) the swastika's arms touch the oakleaf wreath, which it does not seem to do on the pigeon heads
    4) the centre claws of the talons are different
    5) the feathers' bone-detailing looks different
    6) the first small feather at the "thumb-position" is different.<br>
    <br>
    Further observations, regarding the reverse of the eagle:
    A & B) the eagle's head and the voids between the head and the wings look different
    C) the stamp (RZM or something else) is in another place
    D) the finishing to the edge of the wings is different<br>
    <br><br>Thoughts...? Comments...?<br>Mikael
    Mikael G.

Hello Mikael,
    I believe that your eagle is a reproduction. I think these birds with the socalled faint RZM-mark are copies of originals or copies of copies. Let me explain it further. What I think they did, is make moulds using an original or fake eagle. The result was a mould with a very poorly designed RZM-mark and the eagles made from these therefore have the same feature. Detail is also lacking at parts, for example, look at the top bar of the wings, there seems to be extra parts of metal present... Hope this helps.

Cheers
    Bart

Comment

Mikael,
      I saw the thread on the GD forum and even posted some examples of the 40 eagle, I think what bart has said above cover's it, your eagle is just a copy of a copy, yes there will be differences in the detail but it still is a copy (IMO)
      cheers,
      gary

Comment

Thanks...!

Just would like to get it confirmed...!
        There has been a lot of talking about M1/40 and 40-fakes, but I had never seen the 41-marked one before.
        Thank you for your input!
        Cheers,
        Mikael
        Mikael G.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
        X