SS Letter Signage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SS Letter Signage

Hi all. These are heavy steel plaques about 9” X 61/2”. They’re one of two pairs obtained from the family of an officer in the Royal Hamilton Light Infantry. Apparently the plaques were taken off of guardhouses at an SS facility. Where and when are now unknown, unfortunately. If they are familiar to you, please let us know. Obviously they’re not the Sigrunen one might expect, and I’m wondering if they’re just generic period signage, possibly “recycled” in one of the occupied countries?<o></o>
    Attached Files

The studs are separate pieces, and only one is actually threaded. I’d like to mount them to a board painted in diagonal stripes like a guardhouse. - Cheers, Rob<o></o>
    Attached Files

Comment

Well,
      I have not seen a period photo that might help attribute them to the SS but regardless of that, as someone one works with typography, these letterforms are beautiful examples of display lettering. They certainly look like they came a civilian store or business.
      Derek

Comment

A very common Art Deco lettering style called 'Broadway'...it is also sometimes known as 'Parisienne', presumably due to its popularity in 1930s Paris. You should find a similar style already installed on your computer as a font, known as 'Invite engraved'.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
        X