Iraqis in the SS WWII

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Iraqis in the SS WWII

I read somewhere that there was a Iraqi unit in the SS, or Iragis in a SS unit. I cant find it anywhere. Can anybody help? Thanks, Pete

Iran was an ally of Germany and raised the Free Arabian unit of the Heer.

Bob Hritz
    In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king.

Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can muffle the sound.

Comment

Sorry inappropriate to forum
      Last edited by Steve Flanagan; 01-04-2007, 08:03 PM.

Comment

Pete, As I understand it, the Iraqi Baath Party has its roots in the WSS. There was an Iraqi Cleric that visited with Hitler a few times during the war. He, name unknown, had ties with the WSS. Hence the Muslim connection in the WSS. I will try to find more information for you. Take care, Frank
        Last edited by Raven26; 01-06-2007, 04:38 PM.

Comment

There may have been a few Iraqis in the Abwehr, the 'Brandenburg' units and possibly in the Skorzeny SS Jagdverbaende but there were no Iraqi 'units'. The 'Free Arabian' Legion was primarily composed of North African Maghrebis from Tunisia, Algeria and Morocco. I think the Muslim cleric you're referring to was the Mufti of Jerusalem - a Palestinian - who acted as a sponsor to the Muslim units of the W-SS (which were primarily ethnically European, being mostly composed of Bosnians and Kossovar Albanians).

Comment

For me Basil is right.

Must add than former british colonies prisoners joined the "Frei arabien" legion.

Here's one of the pics showing Hadji Mohammed Amin al-Husseini visiting the Handschar Div.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by Fred S; 01-05-2007, 04:34 AM.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
            X