Cap Eagle And Totenkopf, Thoughts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cap Eagle And Totenkopf, Thoughts?

Considering purchasing this one. Here is the description that goes along with the pictures. Any opinions would be very helpful Thanks!
    Ronnie

"The salient word here is "silver." The normal material for cap sets were of a white metal substance. This set that we offer is crafted of pure silver and clearly marked in raised figures "800." This is of relevance as the silver versions were very rare in that they cost the officer much more, as they were individual purchase. Many companies made them such as Assmann, Wagner, Wilm, etc. Some had the 800 markings under the jaw of the skull, while others had the 800 mark integral with the interior of the skull. The detail of the silver skulls and eagles is much finer than on the base metal versions and naturally, they are much heavier. The retaining pins are also much thicker because of the additional weight. These were liberated from two different Berlin sources in 1945. They don't come any better than this."
    Attached Files

next.
    Attached Files

Comment

NExt
      Attached Files

Comment

nextt
        Attached Files

Comment

Last Pic.
          Attached Files

Comment

i would not feel comfortable with these. most silver pieces are fakes. better off buying known original cupal or zink pieces.

Comment

look like cast fakes to me, sorry
              cheers,
              Gary

Comment

Junk!

Comment

I am not sure which is worse, that pathetic set or that absurd description with the laughably inaccurate "facts" regarding the methods and materials of original insignia manufacture.

Who is the fool/criminal spewing such BS?

Comment

The seller is

www.germaniainternational.com
                    Thanks for the opinions.
                    I'd really like to purchase an authentic set if I could find them. Not looking for a bargain just looking to buy. Any suggestions?

Comment

Originally posted by fadetoblack138 View Post
                      www.germaniainternational.com
                      Thanks for the opinions.
                      I'd really like to purchase an authentic set if I could find them. Not looking for a bargain just looking to buy. Any suggestions?
                      I just went to that site to see this bogus set. Another give-away should have been his price; you won't be able to find a real set for that kind of money. A nice original individual piece of good quality would cost that much or more. Moreover, if you can find them at all, you are likely only going to find them sold individually. Sets rarely come up for sale. If you can find a set, it is going to be expensive. Particularly for a set that looks like they truly belong together (same materials, finish, and condition) you are going to pay a hefty price. Depending on rarity (some makers and materials are more rare than others) you may have to add a premium too.

By the way, just about all of the metal cap insignia you see for sale are fakes and, while most are obvious crap, there are some really good reproductions which have been artificially aged. I recommend posting any items you are considering here before buying. It is easy for experienced collectors to get fooled and, if I may say so, it sounds like you are not experienced in this area.

You might want to keep your eyes on this site: http://www.germanmilitaria.com/Waffe...othMetal4.html

Good luck,
                      Brad

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 3 users online. 0 members and 3 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                      X