Unusual SS Membership Pin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unusual SS Membership Pin

I think this must be an early one...........
    Attached Files

The back has no member's number or maker's mark and, unusually, a buttonhole fitting.

Anyone else got one to compare?
    Attached Files

Comment

Interesting item, but I have never seen a comparable pin ......

Comment

Robin- How large is it compared to a dagger grip insert?

Cheers,
        Arran.

Comment

Originally posted by Arran View Post
          Robin- How large is it compared to a dagger grip insert?

Cheers,
          Arran.
          It's bigger. It's the same size as a regular membership pin, only with a bottonhole fitting. It's a 'one-looker' - definitely of the period, but just a bit unusual with the buttonhole. I've compared it closely with a Hoffstaetter, and the runes are slightly different, so presumably it's a different maker.

The way the runes slant slightly (left one higher than the right one) suggest it's pre-'35-ish. The 'slanting runes' are typical of the early period........see dagger grips, the way sports runes badges were sewn on, etc. etc. Just one of these 'things' I've noticed over the years.

Comment

Robin-

The enamel pin itself looks good to me, and yes I would agree that it is a early pattern due to the slanted runes. At first I thought that maybe someone removed the stickpin and replaced it with the clip, but you say that there is no membership number or "Hoffstätter..." text.

Interesting.

I am looking at purchasing a early SS membership pin and the runes are very similar in shape and detail, but the spacing inbetween them is not as big as yours. Otherwise they look almost identical. This is a standard stickpin with the text and number (I can send you a scan if you wish).

You definitely have a knack for turning up interesting items

Rob

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
            X