Dirlewanger Tab - fake?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dirlewanger Tab - fake?

Here's a Dirlewanger tab that is available along with what is almost certainly a bogus dog tag. Even if the tab is original, it is still kinda spendy given it's condition (one has to figure the tag has no value).

This tab is claimed to be Dachau manufacture. I note that the rifle buttstocks are hollow and very flimsy, instead of solid as I've seen on every other Dachau Dirlewanger I've looked at. I'm thinking it is fake, but I just want to be sure I'm not missing some variation.

Also, the original dealer who is supposed to have sold this tab to the current owner has put other virtually identical (to include the same location of the staining) Dirlewangers up online - I've come across one on another militaria site.

Collar Tab

Hello Mr. Scratch,
    Doesn't look too promising. The white color of the embroidery of the rifles is not what one would expect. Though if this tab has been exposed to the elements, this colorization might occur. The hollowed butt stocks of the rifles is the big flag so to speak. It is this variation that gives me great pause. Certainly the construction of the rifles and grenade mimic that of an original Dachau piece. The rear construction of the tab is also suspect. I wonder if this is a hitherto unseen Delta rendering?

The white stitching on the back certainly bears further scrutiny. The photograph precludes close examination especially on the right hand side of the tab. Do you have the site address of this other's "twin" posting? If its image of the rear construction is more clear, it might help clear up the white thread construction.

As of right now, I would say that this is a replica.

Sincerly,

Charles Betz

Comment

I think the tab is probably an original 'Dachau' tab, although so battered as to be virtually worthless. I've seen a few being offered in much the same condition over the years. I can't imagine what happened to it though? Damp damage perhaps, or maybe a deliberate ageing and distressing process? The rear of the tab doesn't seem to show damage consistent with the front and the tab shows no sign, that I can see, of ever having been on a uniform. A good condition, unworn, Dachau example would cost $150-$250 and would probably represent a better investment that this one.

As for the dog-tag, who can really say? You can buy blank tags for a few dollars and a set of punches for a few dollars more: every re-enactor has a reasonably convincing dog-tag, and there's a small cottage industry making them.

Comment

Originally posted by C. Betz View Post
        Hello Mr. Scratch,
        The white stitching on the back certainly bears further scrutiny. The photograph precludes close examination especially on the right hand side of the tab. Do you have the site address of this other's "twin" posting? If its image of the rear construction is more clear, it might help clear up the white thread construction.

As of right now, I would say that this is a replica.
        Here is an image of a near identical tab, formerly offered by the same company that sold the one previosly mentioned (N&T Global Trading). Note the pattern of the discoloration on the left rifle - very much the same as the previous example.

BTW - if anybody has an original Dirlewanger they'd like to sell for somewhere in the $175ish range (or slightly more or less, condition considered) please drop me a line. I'd like to see what you have.
        Last edited by Mr. Scratch; 11-07-2006, 02:02 PM.

Comment

Collar Tab

Mr. Scratch,
          After re-examing the collar tab and closely comparing the reverse with some Dachau examples offered for sale on the estand (reverse of the Handschar tab posted by Ron Weinand), I will reverse my opinion and say that this example is a bonifide rendering of the Dirlewanger unit. I am puzzled by by the hollowed butt stocks of the rifle. I guess it will remain one of those mysteries.

Sincerely,

Charles Betz
          Last edited by C. Betz; 11-08-2006, 11:23 AM.

Comment

Perhaps some of the emboidery used to make the rifles has been removed. It doesn't look to me as if it was manufactured to look like that.

Comment

Shouldn't grenade have the same wear at the rifles? In my opinion the wear is inconsistant and I don't like the fact that both tabs a have same stains on them.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
              X