CollectorToCollector

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SS Officers Summer uniform opinions please.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SS Officers Summer uniform opinions please.

I am posting this so that forum member Mr.Jeff Davis can expand on his comment that he "entertains a doubt" as to its authenticity.I have it offered for sale in the Estand. I would love to hear all opinions as long as they offer ideas as to why they were formed. Im almost willing to bet Mr.Davis will offer no further comment but since he took time to add a negative comment to my sales add Im giving himthechance to share his doubt with the forum. Others please feel free to offer up your opinions.I will list all the features of tunic.I did post my email for people with questions Mr. Davis but you didnt feel you had any so lets hear whats wrong with it. Jeff Davis is new to collecting SS he told me himself a few months ago,he has sent me several emails asking my opinions on various sleeve eagles he has purchased.His threads can attest to his knowledge.

The tunic is field gray canvas material.
    The collar is dark green wool.
    It has signs that the collartabs were changed three times.
    To coincide with that there is evidence of a chevron on the left arm and an old fighter chevron on the right.
    There was once tress sewn around the collar which was altered with a pointier dark green wool after the tress was removed.
    The sleeve eagle was changed twice.
    There was never abreast eagle.
    The buttons were changed once to officer quality
    The cuffs were adjusted for a longer arm the wear evidence is clear
    The wear on all insignias is even and matches.
    Last edited by John Pic; 12-23-2007, 04:06 PM.

Bevo runic tab

Comment

wool rank tab appears less worn in photo because it is a different thicker material than bevo gabardine,but the wear is there its missing most of nap. pips are oxidized.

Comment

+++++

Comment

#####

Comment

Comment

Comment

'''''''''

Comment

Now the stitching of the eagle is unconventional and done in a manner to suggest the tailor didnt care about stitch type just functionality. I see more Zig zags on reproduced and refurbished tunics than straight stitch and any good faker who knew where to place the eagle and the type of stitch would have done it to deceive. Its also possible it was resewn on post war because the bobbin thread on the collar tabs is different than the eagle. But so what, the tunicis a real SS officer tunic.Ive collected and studied German four pocket service blouses for many years and owned many. No one can tell when an insignia was added without close hands on inspection for clues in the wear and/or synthetic threads. Anyone who says they can is a con artist with an agenda. This tunic once belonged to the Dealer George Peterson he may be able to shed more light on it. I bought it several years ago on the recomendation of another experienced SS uniform collector Willi Schumacher,anyone who knows Willi he is up front and an honest collector with no agenda and not a dealer. The problems with posting on forums like this are that inexperienced collectors can spout off an uneducated opinion or remark on a thread ,if you dont really know or have no background knowledge of material presented you should just keep your opinion to yourself or ask intelligent questions.Bill Shea sold a completely restored and repaired tunic for $4500 last November with insignias more beat than this ones.
                  Last edited by John Pic; 12-23-2007, 04:04 PM.

Comment

SS Officer Candidate in Summer tunic with NCO rank

Comment

Same SS officer in same tunic with Officer rank.

Comment

Just an added thought. Recently I was sent a picture of a tunic pictured in the Beaver books once owned by a prestigious dealer. In the picture sent to me the Arm eagle was replaced with one different than that shown in the book. The new owner felt it was too worn and replaced it. If you dont think this happens more often than not your in the wrong end of the hobby..stick to badges. AND...if you dont think alot of Army tunics were post war doctored to be SS your really fooling yourself. This tunic at the very least is a real SS officers tunic once worn and worn often enough to show the effects of weather on it. Maybe the insignias were replaced maybe not. I dont care, I would be happy to hang onto it forever if it never sells. The money is for a new home but its not that urgent that it needs to go.

Comment

Hello John,

The jacket and insignia look fine to me. However since the insignia has been removed and replaced so many times many collectors will feel (especially with SS items) that it was de-nazified post war and rebuilt to what it is now. We all know however insignia etc was replaced wartime when promotions were given..

Perhaps the 8K price tag is the reason for Mr Davis to entertain a doubt.

It is not my business what you price your items at but maybe it should be priced for the value of a stripped SS officers lightweight tunic plus what ever the insignia would cost to restore it.

Just my thoughts,

Glenn
                          "A Man's Got to Know His Limitations"

Comment

when I already see marked red lines on the photo from such a nice collar tab there is really nothing worth to add about it.

Comment

HI JOHN,
                              ORIGINAL AND VERY NICE TUNIC IMO
                              By Lorenz

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X