Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SS Hanschar Fez Debate

Hey all,

I am new to this messageboard, but not new to collecting. I have been collecting German WW2 memorabilia since I was in grade school, when I got my first German helmet (M35 DD SS, ...lucky break!) as a gift from my uncle. Any ways.......I have read a ton of threads about the Handschar fez's and thier related value.

First let me say that the current trend of "collectors/ dealers" buying these items only to destory them for greed or personal gain of ANY SORT (restoration of other pieces etc) makes me sick. As much as I am sickened by this practice, there is a flip side to it. With this destruction the scarsity for 100% intact versions on the market increases, thus so does the price. I bought my maroon fez in 1993 for 325.00. The estimated value on todays market for the same hat ranges from 1,100.00 to as high as 3,000.00 depending on the provenance, and condition. I know some here do not think that the hat is worth this amount as a reuslt of the recent influx onto the market, but I would argue and say that the rarity, and appeal will carry the value over time. The Dachau depot not withstanding, I really believe that the trend will go up on the desire for this hat. I can recall that when I was in the process of buying my fez, other SS collectors thought it was a waste of money. I thought differently.

True the fez is not the "classic" WWII German look, but its unique appearence, and historical context has always made it appeal to cerain SS collectors such as myself. I have peaked visored caps, and SS tunics, but my favorite item (as if my handle does not tell you) is my fez.

What are your opinons? Do you think that the fez will withstand the recent trends? Do you think that the deliperate trashing of these historical items will foce the 100% untouched/ intact versions to raise in price? I know I personaly would never consider selling mine fo ranything less than 3,000.00. Since I am not selling, I guess I could ask for any price..LOL! You get my point.

Asking price and reality value are two different things. The Intenet has accelerated the frowth in th hobby of colecting 3rd Reich equipment. What is asked for and what is true value is determined by the market place. Frankly, I feel many items are over priced and sit for years. In thenear future, the collector market will experience a string correction downward. The maroon fez is a fairly common piece and IMO, 3K is a ridiulous price.

Comment

3k? Not for a red one IMO. Now the more desirable grey/green ones will fetch more, but not even 3k. At the most maybe 2k. As for buying them to remove insignia, thats destroying a piece of history of a rare foreign SS division. Just my thoughts.
      Regards,
      Gary

Comment

It's interesting that most people do not feel that either fez is worth the 3,000.00 mark. I found that in Italy, California, and some parts of France that is exactly what they sold for. Mind you that was 7 years ago when the rarity was far more. I still think that even in todays market I could put my fez up for auction, as between 1,800.00- 2,500.00 and get it within a few weeks. Maybe not from the "normal collector", meaning people who are really into the hobby, but from the guy in Kansas who wants an SS piece of this nature as his only piece. I agree I personaly would not pay that amount, only because I know where to go to find them for far less, but most "non-collectors" do not have those channels, and do not take the time to really research the hobby. This is the 3K target, so to speak.

Comment

it's the market law, in every domain.

You can find stores that will sell Levi's 501 for 15O Euros (about 185 USD), if somebody want to pay the price...

Comment

I agree 100%.

Comment

Kameraden,
              If I could get $3,000. for my Fez, I'd most likely sell it without a second thought. Whatever I have bought, I bought with the expectation to keep forever and not to make a profit but to possibly make a $2,600. profit is very hard to ignore and could very easily sway me to sell.

I'd love to post a picture of my red fez but the list is not allowing me to. It is in very nice shape but the tassel is no longer tacked down in the rear. The thread is still there though.

Sepp

Comment

I would happily sell the one in my collection for under 2K. Gray fezes are going unsold on dealer sites at $1800. The maroon ones are still available for way under 1K if you look around. Reality and internet fantasy prices are two different things.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                X