SS Items in Riga

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SS Items in Riga

I have discovered a shop here in Riga, Latvia near a market where there is an old man with loads of German items. He has a wallet full of dog tags, loads of helmets (poor condition to be fair) etc. He also has what looks like a hood that is camo one side and a dirty white inside. He said it's SS!! It has like a dark mesh where the ears would be. This particular item STINKS.
    Also, he has a thin white tunic that has the eagle on the arm and black shoulder boards. there is no cuff title. This also appears very old and rather smelly.

I know without pics that it is IMPOSSIBLE to to say. But if there are such items that existed (that are not obviously fantasy) I will then try and get pics from him.

I know that SS items are heavily faked (I cut my teeth in Poland), but, you never know. Looking at his other items - that are all original...it makes me wonder.
    Also, with three SS legions being based in Riga - surely there's some stuff out there.
    Last edited by redfaced; 01-17-2007, 06:24 PM.

The hood could be right. They made these to go with the camouflage parka uniform along with the padded jacket, trousers and shooting mittens. These would be camouflaged on one side (Oakleaf pattern in either autumn, which is the most common, or spring) and winter white on the other side. In each earhole would be some sort of cloth. So that could be right. The other thin white tunic with sleeve eagle and shoulder straps I couldn't be sure of. Pictures are always the preferred method of posting items to get a good feel for them... a picture is worth a thousand words.

Bob

Comment

Red,
      My wife is currently in Riga. Could you email me instructions to this little shop?
      ethreecee@aol.com

Comment

Originally posted by Bobwirtz View Post
        The hood could be right. They made these to go with the camouflage parka uniform along with the padded jacket, trousers and shooting mittens. These would be camouflaged on one side (Oakleaf pattern in either autumn, which is the most common, or spring) and winter white on the other side. In each earhole would be some sort of cloth. So that could be right. The other thin white tunic with sleeve eagle and shoulder straps I couldn't be sure of. Pictures are always the preferred method of posting items to get a good feel for them... a picture is worth a thousand words.

Bob
        Hi Bob,
        stupid question maybe but...
        I thought that spring oakleaf toques were never produced or we have no proof that they were?

Comment

You could be right on that Fred. My camo days are long behind me. I know they made the jackets and trousers. I don't think they made the shooting mittens in the spring pattern either.

Bob

Comment

Hi,

Where abouts in Riga did you find this shop ? Do you know the name of the street? I am very interested to know. Thanks

Regards,

Zanis

Comment

The place is actually near the main market, where the airship hangers are. I found it by accident I am not sure of the street. It takes me a while to find where I live
              I will probably go today and take some pics...and find out the exact location.
              There are a few antique shops here with original TR stuff - one plce was asking 200Lats (200 pounds) for an EK2. It will be hard to find bargains.
              I plan to look off the map, if you know what I mean.

Comment

I visited this shop in July. He had a FJ helmet among other things, altough I cant comment on the autenticity. Its located very close to the hangars, right among old ladies selling blueberries, home made socks and much more.

Comment

That'd be the place. I went on friday and it was closed
                  So, instead, I bought some home-made socks from the old ladies.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                  X