No announcement yet.

Q/A Piped General's Trousers Colour?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bob- fair enough, I guess I should have mentioned I was more interested in the photo from the book in that thread showing the grey pipe pants.....

Comment

Bob:

Agreed, the piped pants must have been an anomaly. For sure, Dietrich would have had some sort of oddball custom ones done, to match the rest of the 'flair' in his uniform groupings.

All the photos I've seen so far are non-piped trousers. As far as the insignia in that thread, I'd have to defer to the experts on that call.

Comment

I just came across this thread and found it an interesting discussion. For those seeking clarification, the official facing colour for all SS General ranks was light grey; "hellgrau" in regulation documents pertaining to lapels on coats and mess tunics for example.
        Wunnenburg's breeches, in my opinion, represent his desire to present himself in his dual role as an officer of the SS and the Police. Wunnenberg saw himself first and foremost as a police officer and was only reluctantly forced into SS uniform by a direct order from Himmler (1). As Police General's were authorised to wear lampassen, (in green), I suspect Wunnenberg has carried this practise over and modified it by adopting the light grey facing of a General of the SS.
        Regards,
        Derek

(1) Mark Yerger, Waffen-SS Commanders, Vol II

Comment

Derek- thanks, that makes sense, another personality versus regulations issue. Thanks for clearing that up, makes complete sense.

Comment

The lampassen were not his only uniform variation......you'll notice he also wore an army style breast eagle on his sleeve in lieu of an SS arm eagle.

Also, notice in the section on Wunnenberg in the Yerger book that he is wearing a lighter shade of breeches (with the lampassen) on page 340 than what he is wearing on page 342 (in which he is also wearing lampassen). You'll notice this, as well, in the other Wunnenberg pictures scattered throughout both volumes.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
            X