SS Cap Eagle - Fake or Real

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SS Cap Eagle - Fake or Real

My first posting for opinions on authenticity, so please be gentle. I'm not generally an SS collector, though I have a few items that came from veterans. This one didn't, but I hope it's good. I still need to brush it to remove the red wool fuzz that came off the SS armband it was mailed with. Here goes:
    Attached Files

Here's the backside.
    Attached Files

Comment

No one can help me? I don't mind if you tell me it's a repro; I just don't want you to be mean about it!
      Thanks,
      Dale

Comment

These cap eagles are extremely rare and very difficult to authenticate. This thread might be of some help.
        http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=139167

Comment

Hello,
          Thank you for showing me that thread. It at least gives me something to go on. Sad that when something is so seldom seen one or two examples seem to set the rules for what is real or fake, not to mention that the improving quality of repros kills the joy of the market. I've been collecting for about 15 years now, however, and have gotten so many things directly from the source (so to speak) that don't follow the "standard" rules, that I no longer trust everything I see in a book or am told by experts. There are certainly features of this eagle that don't conform to the standard and that I don't like, but I have had a lot of things I'm 99.9% sure came directly from the war period that don't conform to the supposedly uniform and high standards set by the German manufacturers. When things were being made by so many firms and labor camps, standards were certainly bound to vary. I recall a friend of mine speaking to his older neighbor in Germany about what she did during the war. When she told him that she worked as a seamstress sewing on insignia in a clothing plant, he asked her to sew some insignia onto some of his original German uniforms. She did so, and he pointed out that her style of sewing it on didn't conform to what most books called the standard. She told him that they were working so quickly to sew on insignia that they just "eyeballed" the placement of the insignia and sewed it on as rapidly as they could w/o too much concern for rules. Based on what I've seen so many seamstresses do when sewing insignia on my current Army uniforms, I tend to agree.

Sorry, didn't mean to get on a soapbox. Thanks again for your help.
          Dale

Comment

Well...

I would not invest much money into this eagle. Its a bad one IMO.

/Felix

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
            X