Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ft. Campbell Museum

Hi All,
    I just got back from seeing my youngest son come in from Iraq. He is with the 101st AB (airassult). While we were there enjoying him being home we got to go to the museum there on base. It was very nice. They had numerous uniforms, including foriegn, amoung them a SS General officers with overcoat, hat and sword. It has a cuff title "Reichfuhrungs SS". As soon as I figure out how to down load the pics from my sons camera, I will post some of them. Has anyone else been there? If in the area, everyone should see it. It is not very big but very nice. Has German and Japanese paratrooper uniforms also. They have display's from WW2 through Operation Iraqi Freedom.
    Yours,
    Terry Keller
    "ihr wollt doch auch das Blut vom Degen lecken"
    Rammstein

If I remember correctly the SS uniform used to reside at the pesidio in san franciso till it closed..Glad it didnt dissappear in the great beyond..Billbert

Comment

Glad you son s safely back too!!My Bad!!Billbert

Comment

You are correct, that uniform used to be displayed at the Presidio. When they turned the buildings over during BRAC, that uniform was among several pieces that the small museum was going to send to the Defense Reutilization and Marketing Office, after they couldn't find another museum to accept the uniform set. It was still a closed auction, and I had a bid in.

I was actually relieved to see that it was picked up by another DoD museum. Too much stuff has leaked out of the museums system(s) into the hands of private individuals, never to be seen again. You got a chance to see your son AND a great uniform - otherwise it would be sitting in a cedar chest with my other uniforms!

Comment

Donald Abenheimhadsome knowledgeabout the uniformtoobad he isnt here to share it.

Comment

I was stationed at Campbell a few years back and here's the only photo of the uniform I managed to get. Allegedly the SS officer was captured by a Private in the 101st as he was trying to escape in civilian clothing. The soldier found the officer's complete outfit in his luggage, to include everything you see here (though I'm not sure about the medals and badges) as well as the saber's cloth case and an extra pair of dress pants. I saw the extra pair of pants - they are named but I failed to write it down so can't provide it for you. Maybe someone else has it or I can contact Don Abenheim and ask him.

Dale
            Attached Files

Comment

Dem Nazis sure had some great lookin uniforms!!Billbert

Comment

Terry,
                Almost forgot. Congratulations on the safe return of your son! Give him a big Air Assault for me.
                Dale

Comment

Glad to hear your son is home safe. I leave for active after i pass my boards in June. Always glad to hear of the return of our soldiers safely. Nice uniform as well. Matt

Comment

[quote=Stepdale;1609555" Allegedly the SS officer was captured by a Private in the 101st as he was trying to escape in civilian clothing. The soldier found the officer's complete outfit in his luggage, to include everything you see here (though I'm not sure about the medals and badges) as well as the saber's cloth case and an extra pair of dress pants"

Dale[/quote]

The soldier who brought this treasure home was from the south bay area of San Francisco. He "loaned" the emsemble to the Presidio Museum and later, when he wanted it back, they would not reutn it to him. In the early 80's, a friend of mine got power of attorney from him to persue the return of this grouping, but nothing ever came of it. It is pretty hard to fight the government as an individual and win

Comment

in holland we say so you get it so you lost it .
                      it's only a money thing !

regards johan

Originally posted by Bob Coleman View Post
                      The soldier who brought this treasure home was from the south bay area of San Francisco. He "loaned" the emsemble to the Presidio Museum and later, when he wanted it back, they would not reutn it to him. In the early 80's, a friend of mine got power of attorney from him to persue the return of this grouping, but nothing ever came of it. It is pretty hard to fight the government as an individual and win

Comment

Great looking set!
                        That's sad the private couldn't get back his treasure, but at least people can seen this masterpiece of history in a museum.

Comment

Ft. Campbell.

Greetings All,
                          When I was stationed in Ft. Campbell in 1980 the museum was a tiny cinderblock building. I haven't been back since. The one thing that I thought was very cool that they had on display was a pair of Herman Goerings trousers!!!

Fred Green

Comment

I believe the uniform pictured is that of SS-Brigadefuehrer Dr. Willi Meerwald. Somewhere in my files I have more pictures of it which I will post once I locate them.
                            Derek

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                            X