Allach from Berlin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Allach from Berlin

I******180;ve just spent a very enjoyable week exploring Berlin on foot.

It******180;s amazing how Third Reich history is gradually being ******180;written out******180;for the tourists.

All they want to talk about is the Berlin Wall!

One thing******180;s for sure........Berlin is changing all the time. It******180;s the fourth time I******180;ve been here, and each time the place looks different. New buildings are going up all the time.....some in the old styles.

I can imagine that in 10 years time, the new Berlin is going to be a really beautiful and extremely impressive city.

While exploring the antique markets I managed to pick up an Allach Kerzenhalter.......the #89 model by Diebitsch.

The funny thing is, it******180;s in black.....it******180;s made of porcelain, (not earthenware like some of these), but the porcelain has been ******180;toned******180;to give it the appearance of black over silver for want of a better description......a sort of ******180;grey-black******180;. An identical one is shown on the Allach Porcelain site under ******180;Candleholders -Kerzenhalter - Black******180;.

Has anyone else ever seen a black one of these?

PS - This little shop still has about a dozen other Allach items, mostly animals but a couple of small candleholders going very cheap and a very nice M******252;nchner Kindl. They are called Petrik and Schabel on Georgenstra******223;e and their contact number is 030-2043158.
    Last edited by Robin Lumsden; 09-14-2006, 06:48 AM.

Hi Robin, Can you post a pic of your new Allach piece?

Comment

does the allach website use the book as a reference that was made during the war?

Comment

Originally posted by ErichS View Post
        Hi Robin, Can you post a pic of your new Allach piece?

Here it is Erich. The finish gives it the same colour as the so-called 'anodised' SS dagger scabbards. It is supposed to resemble iron. I've since found out this was a presentation version of the white equivalent.
        Attached Files

Comment

Here is the base. The bare porcelain can be seen at the bottom of each foot.

The marks are impressed.
          Attached Files

Comment

Great piece Robin and thanks for posting the pics! Never saw that color before but sure looks great. Like the Hegel Runes around the base along with the Hearts.

Comment

exploring berlin eh, are you sure youve not transfered to the german police so you can do your beat around the military shops robin? sure got a good eye, would this peice be worth more than the traditional white? phil.

Comment

Originally posted by PHILBROWN View Post
                exploring berlin eh, are you sure youve not transfered to the german police so you can do your beat around the military shops robin? sure got a good eye, would this peice be worth more than the traditional white? phil.
                A transfer to Germany? IF ONLY!

I think this one is certainly a lot rarer than the white version. The white one usually goes for about £400. I paid a wee bit less for this. Like everything else, I suppose the value just depends on what someone is prepared to pay.

Comment

a nice original Allach candle holder, I hope you got a good time in germany.

Comment

Robin-

Sounds (and looks!) like you had a great trip I've been to Berlin twice now, last time was in 2003, so I'm sure a lot has changed since then. I'm hoping to get back again some time next year.

The candle holder is very interesting! This is the first time I have ever seen black Allach. It must have stuck out like a sore thumb amongst the rest. I like the finish, almost like a heavily aged bronze, but I do have to admit I'm still partial to the white :glasses I'm glad it found a good home.

Thanks for sharing,
                    Rob

PS: You should have grabbed the other pieces, mate

Comment

Robin,

Congratulations on the candleholder! It really looks ... different!

Which were the animals? Any large pieces?
                      "Wir Deutschen fürchten Gott und sonst nichts auf der Welt " BISMARCK

Comment

Originally posted by rkdek View Post
                        Robin,
                        Which were the animals? Any large pieces?
                        From memory.......large sitting dachshund pup; fox terrier; lamb; horse. There were also two small candle holders, the Munich Maid (Kaerner version), and a few other 'non-political' bits.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob Johnson View Post
                          You should have grabbed the other pieces, mate
                          But......I'm not into animals!

Comment

Originally posted by Robert H View Post
                            I hope you got a good time in Germany.
                            I always do!

Comment

Originally posted by Robin Lumsden View Post
                              But......I'm not into animals!
                              That's a good thing

I take it there was no "political" porcelain at the shop

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on Yesterday.

Working...
                              X