Show us your SS Tropical Overseas Caps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Show us your SS Tropical Overseas Caps

A cap that doesnt appear very often is the tropical SS overseas cap.

Who might have nice images to share of this scarce cap??

I already posted the only (in my hands) Waffen-SS tropical overseas cap that I've ever seen, other than the one in Headgear of Hitler's Germany, Volume 2. This belongs to a friend of mine. This was posted under the Waffen-SS Tropical Field Caps Thread recently. It was purchased from Bill Shea a number of years ago and was once in Bill Donahue's headgear collection. Bill got it from Mike Horetsky who in turn got it from the son of the veteran who brought it back from Europe. He was a Major and a doctor. Ordered to proceed to Mathausen Concentration Camp to assist with the inmates there, he commandeered two deuce-and-a-halves and drove into Linz to look for clean clothing for the inmates after they had been stripped, scrubbed and deloused. They found a Waffen-SS clothing depot full of tropical clothing, this cap being one of the pieces of headgear there that the veteran brought back. It is manufactured by Schmid & Menner and is pictured in Gary Wilkins' book, as well as the new book on tropical uniforms, headgear and equipment of the Deutsches Afrika Korps. Bob

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...=170311&page=2
    Last edited by Bobwirtz; 08-23-2006, 02:19 PM.

Comment

Tropical Overseas

As I can't post pictures, if you want to send me your EMail address I will send you pictures of my example (made by Berolina).

John

Comment

Looks like another very short thread. Probably because there aren't too many of these caps around to post photos of. I guess this could be put under the heading of "RARE" in accordance with another forum thread that talks about the meaning and over use of the word RARE. I think this subject and the cap I posted qualify.

FHH, does your overseas cap have the tropical insignia? Like I stated, I've only seen two of these and the one in the book I mentioned also looked like it had the autumn camouflaged insignia like the one my friend owns. I'd love to see the one pictured in the book to confirm that the insignia is the autumn camouflage and if it is also made by Schmid & Menner. The insignia looks dark in the picture.

Bob

Comment

Trop Insig

The Insignia on my WSS tropical overseas cap is not autumn cammo but is tropical (both eagle and skull)

Comment

What is the interior color? Is there any manufacturer markings other than size?

Bob

Comment

Tan interior.

Interior markings are:

Berolina / Berlin / 1943 / 60

Comment

Bob, Pictures are on the way.

Comment

These are pictures of FHH's Waffen-SS enlisted tropical overseas cap with tropical insignia and a Berolina manufacturer's stencil dated 1943:

Last edited by Bobwirtz; 08-24-2006, 07:25 PM.

Comment

Any comments from our members ??

Comment

I like the eagle...Billbert

Comment

That Berolina Berlin stamp is close to an original but I do not believe it to be an original wartime example. Because of this, I have doubts about the cap's originality (sans insignia)
                        WAF LIFE COACH

Comment

I'm with Gene, I don't like the Berolina stamp, neither the #60 stamp.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                          X