Peaked Cap Insignia "Matched" Sets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Peaked Cap Insignia "Matched" Sets

Those of us who collect peaked cap insignia are often frustrated by the fact that there are very few matched sets to be found. As we have learned, some manufacturers made only eagles and no skulls. Likewise, some of the larger TK makers made comparatively few eagles. Furthermore, those who made both often made them under different contract numbers, so the markings are different. Moreover, as materials and finishes evolved over time and production lots of eagles and skulls were produced at different times during this evolution, there are frequently material/finish combinations for which there is no match between eagles and skulls made by the same manufacturer.

<O</OSo, just to see what is out there, I thought it would be interesting to start a thread on matched insignia sets. Due to the limitations stated above, I recognize that strict “matches” may not exist in many cases, but let’s see how close we can come.

<O</OTo start off, here are three sets of mine which I consider matched, though there are some differences between the eagles and skulls in each set.<O</O
    Last edited by bwanek1; 04-02-2006, 04:09 PM.

First, a Zimmermann set. The TK is marked 499/41 and the eagle is marked 499/42 M1/72. Both are CupAl with the crimped pin attachments. However, in this case, the eagle has a painted finish, while the TK is the unfinished bare aluminum side of the CupAl wafer.

Comment

zum Thema

I have looked at hundreds of SS caps in my forty years. One seldom finds cap badges that match one another, even in the best case. This is a simple fact, and for those who collect solely the badges, without the examination of untouched caps in their natural state, (a very difficult challenge...) then my generalization must seem strange. However, on black SS uniforms (replete with their heavy markings of the era say 1936-1940 or so...), one can easily also have the buttons and side hooks made by different makers, as well, in fact. (i.e. Overhoff and Assmann mixed, for instance...) The past takes great glee in making nonsense out of our vain attempt to impose order and predictability where there is next to none. Sapere aude. PS The insignia above are wholly typical, with the Hoheitszeichen of different composition than the Totenschaedel. I own one Isken officer's cap from 1935 which has a matched set of alpaca/neusibler badges all from Deschler, but this is the exception and not the rule.... I also own a grey cap with matching Zimmermann badges, that is, a neusilber finish, but I shall not and have not pried the bloody things off to ascertain the markings. The finish of the badges, however, do match one another, but I have no idea of what the base metal is, in fact. I am just happy the badges are organic to the silly cap.
      Last edited by Donald Abenheim; 04-02-2006, 04:09 PM.

Comment

Second, a Deschler set. Both the eagle and the skull are solid aluminum and marked M1/52. The pins are different materials and attached differently, but this is about as close of a match as there is for these, since there were no identically matching pin styles for these of which I am aware.

<O</O
        Last edited by bwanek1; 06-10-2008, 04:37 PM.

Comment

Third, another Deschler set. This time with a painted finish. The eagle is marked M1/52 and the skull is marked 254/42. However, I consider this a match, since Deschler only made eagles using the M1/52 mark.

Comment

Do you sell a couple for me?
            Anthony

Comment

great sets Brad!

Donald is pretty accurate in that most caps don't have matching sets - at least from the same maker. Does not Kevin Finley have a cap with a matched set from the same maker?

It is still neat to see the sets together though.

Comment

Zum Beispiel

For instance, take the grey cap on the cover of the Wilkins book, I think the piece there has a M1/ 167 Hoheitszeichen as well as an Overhoff (M1/24) Totenschaedel. The twin to this cap (it came from a veteran source with two caps...) I have examined closely, and it has, I think, zincky, painted Deschler badges, which might be matched, but likley not. I did not pry off the badges, though. Sayle F can speak to his cap, which is very similar to the piece on the cover of the Wilkins book. As to the illustrations here, it is always a pleasure to see any authentic regalia and the hard work, heart break and great expense that goes to assembling these things for all of us to admire and learn from, in turn.

Comment

Donald/Tony,

Please don’t misunderstand me. I do not suggest that matched sets were originally used on period caps. Common sense would alone tells us that cap makers would not have had the slightest interest in whether the insignia they placed on a cap were from the same maker or not. Certainly there is ample physical evidence that not only were eagles and skulls from different makers used on the same cap by cap makers/retailers, but skulls and eagles of different materials were mounted together as well.

Other than the pure aesthetics of seeing “matched” sets displayed together, my interest is simply from the standpoint of identifying what matches existed at all. As I stated in the beginning of this thread, I believe there were few true matches and, as I have acknowledged, the pairs I have displayed each fall short of that mark by some measure.

Best,
                  Brad

Comment

Well, thus far, this thread has not generated the responses I had hoped for. I was, for example, expecting someone would have a matching Overhoff set to show, even though the eagles are extremely rare. I have to admit that I was not even aware that Overhoff made an eagle until less than a year ago when the crusher below was discussed on another thread. In fact, I initially thought the eagle was a fake and I condemned the TK by association. I soon learned this set to be what it is, an extremely rare matching painted CupAl Overhoff (M1/24) set on an original cap (in their “natural state,” as Donald would say).

Of course, the lucky owner likely has no intention of removing the insignia, just to give us a peek at the reverses, so I will substitute with the backs of two other painted CupAl Overhoff pieces.

This eagle belongs to Chris M.:

This TK used to be mine, but now resides in the collection of another forum member:

Last edited by bwanek1; 04-09-2006, 09:00 PM.

Comment

Nice thread Brad! You have been of great help with my first visor eagle. I searched the forum and found this thread. Very interesting topic and a winner for our important-thread-to-remember-archive

I have a question regarding the two pins fastened to the backsides of the eagle and totenkopf: Did a firm, like Overhoff that produced both, use different pins on them? Like the painted CupAl Overhoff pieces you have pictured: On the eagle the pins seem to be fastened on a circle that has been mounted to the eagle, while the TK has pins mounted directly!? It looks like the producer had two types of pins, one for each?

Comment

Originally posted by militaria.no View Post
                        I have a question regarding the two pins fastened to the backsides of the eagle and totenkopf: Did a firm, like Overhoff that produced both, use different pins on them? Like the painted CupAl Overhoff pieces you have pictured: On the eagle the pins seem to be fastened on a circle that has been mounted to the eagle, while the TK has pins mounted directly!? It looks like the producer had two types of pins, one for each?
                        As I indicated at the start of this thread, anyone looking for exactly matching sets will be very frustrated. Not all manufacturers even made both eagles and skulls. Those who did varied not only materials and finishes, but also pin styles and methods of attachment. These changes took place over many years and often reflect efforts to make manufacturing cheaper and simpler over time and they also reflect the use of cheaper materials as the war progressed.

As the eagles and skulls made by a single manufacturer were often made at different times, they often have different pin styles. Few makers ever made an eagle and skull which matched down down to the pin style. Overhoff is one which certainly never did. Two examples for which exact matches do exist are the Zimmermann insignia with the crimped pin attachments and the unmarked Assmann insignia with the soldered round pins. The Zimmermann pair I showed above differ in finish (painted eagle and bare aluminum TK), but there was a painted version of the TK which is a truly exact match for that eagle.

Comment

A nice aluminum 499/41 Zimmermann TK turned up at the SOS, allowing me to complete another (nearly) matching set with an aluminum M1/72 Zimmermann eagle, which I already had. Thanks to the forum member who sold me the TK at the show last week and thanks to the other forum member who traded me the eagle last year.

Comment

This is the only solid aluminum 499/41 skull that I have ever seen, except for my own. A very rare piece. Congrats! Chris

Comment

Originally posted by SScollector View Post
                              This is the only solid aluminum 499/41 skull that I have ever seen, except for my own. A very rare piece. Congrats! Chris
                              When I first saw it I assumed it was one of the CupAl Zimmermann TKs which have the bare aluminum front like the one I showed in post #2 of this thread. I was quite surprised when I turned it over and realized it was solid aluminum.
                              Last edited by bwanek1; 02-27-2007, 06:13 AM.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X