Ss Totenkopf Honor Ring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ss Totenkopf Honor Ring

I saw this on Manion's. It is currently up for auction. Right now the bid is at $2,350. Any thoughts or opinions? I have never owned one, and I have only held a few that were original. It is getting out of my price range, or rather my wallet's range so..............

Photo 2

Photo 2

Comment

Photo 3

Photo 3

Comment

It just occured to me that the ring date is December 21, 1944. That would mean this ring was presented during the same time frame as the Ardennes Offensive (assuming it's owner was with the Waffen-SS). Hmmmmmmmm...to good to be true?

Comment

Hi, I don't know much about Honour rings, but the totenkopf on this one does look funny, literally that is . Nothing like I have seen on other rings.

Bart

Comment

The inscription also seems to lack detail. There is a great forum about these on the GD forum.

Bart

Comment

I'd pass on that baby.
              Best regards,

Tony

Comment

Hi, here is a link to the SS Honour Ring forum mentioned earlier in this thread. The chap who runs it is called Don Boyle and he is THE man when it comes to the SSHR:

http://daggers.infopop.net/2/OpenTop...m&cf=074097573

Cheers, Ade.

Comment

Enough said, I am passing on it...I finally had a chance to look at a few originals in my reference books....close, but no cigar. It is a GREAT copy though...better than many of the cheap castings I have seen. Thanks for sending the other web site info. I don't have Don Boyle's book, I have been meaning to get a copy. It is now officially on my to do/ to buy list.

Comment

I brought this up to the top again because it shows one of the very best fakes of the ring, and an easy way to tell that it's fake.

Look at the runes in the circle at the rear of the ring - photo #2.

See how they look like 2 separate sigrunes? That's a sure sign of a fake.

The originals had the vertical stroke in the centre fully aligned up and down.

The fake has effectively split this so-called Is-rune into two halves.

This ring would fool many collectors, but the Is-rune test is a good way of detecting this particular fake.

The picture below shows what this runic group should look like. Note the differences in the alignment of the Is-rune.
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by Robin Lumsden; 04-08-2004, 01:45 PM.

Comment

Hi,

This ring has been examined before. It is a fake.
                      Best, Chris

Comment

Chris.

Did you actually read my post at all?????

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                        X