Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Metal Cap Eagle/Skull

Opinions welcomed on these.

Appears to be some sort of white metal, not aluminium.. RZM mark is there, but no code numbers etc.

Skull is lightweight alloy, probably aluminium. The gilt finish on the interior looks more like an anodised finish than any sort of plate. I've seen exactly the same thing on the skull from an Ar Panzer collar tab.

Comment

Gordon,
      The TK looks ok from the photo I am not over keen on the eagle though,
      cheers,
      gary

Comment

Metal skull 499/41

Gordon, can you email me. Thanks John /// Citadel8@optonline.net

Comment

Hi Gordon

Sorry, I don’t like the eagle either; don’t like the pins, the method of attachment, nor the general appearance (construction) or finish (including detail) of the piece. This is a “Large Feathered” piece that I feel is a reproduction. It also has what I consider a parrot head. The shape is nothing like an original, which also tends to be a problem with the overall piece.

The RZM logo for example, looks like its there, but its really not legible, more of a representation at best.

Here is an image of an original “Large Feathered” or “Large Triangle Feathered” piece on an original hat. Note the shape of the head, even a little handwork. This eagle is zinc alloy base metal with silver wash-

Rick

Comment

The reverse of the eagle looks cast...not a good sign,--I see this with Eastern European repros also the pins look wrong, I like the skull,

John

Comment

Hello Mr. Williamson,

The eagle is a reproduction and the skull is authentic.
              Please E-mail me at: FleetMac11@aol.com
              if you would be interested in selling the skull.
              The skull is made of CupAl, which is a lamination of
              two sheets of metal, (copper back, aluminum front).
              This is often referred to as clads.
              Fritz Zimmermann cap insignia also came in a three layer CupAl
              which was copper/aluminum/copper and could have either a silver plating
              or a baked on aluminum finish. Thanks to Bob Hritz for this information.
              Hope this helps! Chris

Comment

499/41 skull

Here is a recent find - a 499/41 skull, well worn & showing the basic copper material.
                Attached Files
                Looking for any original items related to Danish W-SS volunteers

Comment

499/41 reverse

And the reverse...
                  Attached Files
                  Looking for any original items related to Danish W-SS volunteers

Comment

Nice one!

Comment

Interesting, would a copper based skull turn green with oxidation like an old penny? I have a friend who has a panzer collar tab skull that was almost all green and when he cleaned it it shows signs of being copper or brass. He considers it a repro because of this as he has never heard of copper being used. If I see him this weekend I will see if I can get a few shots to post here.

Al

Comment

Yes, sometimes that green stuff will grow on the copper based insignia
                        depending on it's environment. Copper is copper and that is how it oxidizes.
                        I obtained one from a vet that had that stuff growing on it.
                        Thanks! Chris

Comment

I agree ...

...wholeheartedly with all three of SScollector's replies!

Comment

That green stuff is known as verdigris and is something I like to see on early pieces, such as SS daggers, belt buckles and insigina with a quality metal content, also...you will not see it on zinc pieces or on steel pieces,

John

Comment

I also forgot to mention that the 499/41 skulls made of the 3-layer CupAl, (copper/aluminum/copper), can have either a thin silver plated finish, or an aluminum finish. I can't tell 100%, which finish the one above has but it looks more like the silver finish to me. Thanks! Chris

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 3 users online. 0 members and 3 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X