Clear All

Me again
    I payed $55 USD for it in 1988

Thanks again

Ross

Any idea on my car pennant in the flag forum
    No feedback yet

Comment

There sure are an awful lot of these stone mint SS armbands showing up lately.

Comment

Ja oder nein

Unused examples of these brassards have endured since Hitler's end, while, at the same time, the fakes are much improved and legion in their presence. However, it is possible to find an un-used SS brassard, but you have to know what you are examining and also pay a goodly more than USD 88; further, these digital images are not helpful, in that the colors are skewed and there is no substitute for the naked eye. The fakes err in some pretty significant features, but I shall leave this issue to more secure means of communication. Finally, I suggest that the colleague in Neuseeland has little cause for concern. The auction house in question used to have quite excellent material.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Scratch
          There sure are an awful lot of these stone mint SS armbands showing up lately.
          No one has a comment on my armband?

Comment

Your one

Hi
            Yours has identicle construction and materials to my one but mine is put together by a more skilled and fussy seamstress

Regards
            Ross

Comment

Originally posted by CurtD
              No one has a comment on my armband?
              Curt,
              Probably because they think its a trick question, can you post better photo of your band?
              cheers
              Gary

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Wood
                Curt,
                Probably because they think its a trick question, can you post better photo of your band?
                cheers
                Gary
                I don't have any better photos. It's on a dealer's site right now for $600 and it is a fake.

I'm sure it is going to fool many collectors.

Comment

That does not say much for you, does it, if you are selling it as original

Comment

Check it with a black light. If the white doesn't glow on the thread or tag you probably got lucky.

Comment

Originally posted by CurtD
                      I don't have any better photos. It's on a dealer's site right now for $600 and it is a fake.

I'm sure it is going to fool many collectors.
                      couldn't you have said that fom the start instead of wasting our time ?

Comment

Originally posted by Tsuba
                        That does not say much for you, does it, if you are selling it as original
                        Never said I was selling it. I don't buy the new mint fakes that everyone is crazy about these days.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Fish
                          couldn't you have said that fom the start instead of wasting our time ?
                          I thought it would be immediately obvious to all the experts in mint SS armbands. Can't you tell from the construction and materials?

Believe it or not, folks, the fakers have finally figured out that the ribs on the white disk run perpendicular to the band. It doesn't take that much to get a piece of red wool, get the ribbed black rayon, and a ribbed white disk and sew it all together. It did take them 50 years or so to get the black and white rayon right, but they finally did it as soon as they found out they could sell it for $600.

Why are there so many mint armbands that have the ends sewn together? These armbands were shipped with the ends UNSEWN so they could be fit to the arm of the wearer. So, in this case, some SS member got their armband, had it fit, never stiched it to their tunic, packed it away in archival quality that NO wedding gown preparer has been able to achieve so that it comes out blindingly white. Whiter than I can get my brand new Hanes t-shirt (with Clorox bleach).

Of course, now that I have said this, the next batch will not be so white and will be next to impossible to tell from authentic without a home Carbon-14 test kit. Looks like I have all the SS armbands I will ever own.
                          Last edited by CurtD; 01-26-2006, 05:11 PM.

Comment

I agree with coleague Abenheim and other members.These armbands are IMPOSIBLE to tell if original because of the likeness these days from a digital image!

Comment

pi pa po

Actually, there was a chap here in the Bay Area who faked these brilliantly in the late-1960s and and early1970s. The sole flaw in his fakes was the red Grundtuch lacked some of the orange-ish color of the originals. However, he got the satin or rayon disc down pretty well; and he did the swastika far better than these purported excellent fakes of the 21st century. I am sure that these fakes of the mid 20th century are prized by many as originals today. At the time, i.e. when I was a pup, one could spot them with care. By contrast, the worksmanship of the here-and-now fakes (I shall not be more specific...) is actually woefully deficient in comparison to an original, in fact. Viel Sammlerglueck.

Comment

I agree with Donald I have seen better fakes than the second one listed, not that this is a bad fake by any means as this will fool many, but there is something you can see in the pictures posted by curt that i did not like but i will leave that for you to find
                                cheers
                                Gary

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 3 users online. 0 members and 3 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                                X