SS cloth HJ member sleeve badge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SS cloth HJ member sleeve badge

I've seen a few of these floating around lately. A cloth black and white HJ diamond for SS who were members of the HJ. Are these legit, rare!? Can someone post front and back of an original one. What type of material are the composed of?

Thanks
    Tony

Hi Tony

Here is my example that I bought from a reputable dealer. It is not a very pricey item. I think mine was $90.

The insignia is featured in Angolia book (pg 431) and I think they are legitimate.

Hope this helps

Raymond
    Attached Files

Comment

and one of the back
      Attached Files

Comment

Hi Raymound,

Thanks for posting. Material looks like felt/wool type material.

Tony

Comment

Originally posted by Tony
          Hi Raymound,

Thanks for posting. Material looks like felt/wool type material.

Tony
          Tony,
          the material on these type raute's is woven wool (doeskin), they were quite common years ago, never to date seen a photo of them in wear though
          cheers
          Gary

Comment

Were these diamonds to be worn by individuals that had been in the HJ or held some speical rank/function in the HJ or by SS members somehow attached to the HJ still? I have also not seen them in use..and as probably a good percentage of SS men were in the HJ..if they were given out solely upon being at one time in the HJ..I would expect many many SS men would have them and we would see photos of them in use...while I have seen many photos of SS men with the simple HJ cloisone diamond on their tunic..

Comment

Is it BDM?

Comment

Yes they are real,I have two of them.I got mine from Bob Wirtz.

Comment

These are typical of the insignia found at the Dachau clothing depot and either not or sparingly issued, probably because of difficulties in supplying them.

I would speculatively suggest that few Waffen-SS members would be particularly interested in wearing a badge on their uniform which identified them as former members of the Hitlerjugend. As a serving officer in the British Army, I very much doubt whether I could persuade many of my soldiers to sew on a badge proclaiming their former membership of the Army Cadet Force whatever the regulations said: they generally want to be seen as hardened veterans, not ingenue ex-members of a group a bit like the Boy Scouts!

Comment

But you see a decent amount of HJ pins worn on the pocket...

Comment

I used to think the same as Basil did about SS soldiers wearing HJ insignia (i.e. combat soldiers wouldn't wear Boy Scout badges). But after talking with a number of SS veterans, especially those that were in the HJ before joining the SS, I came to realize that the HJ was much more highly respected by the Germans than we would think using Boy Scouts as a comparison...Tom

Comment

Originally posted by Gesetz
                        But you see a decent amount of HJ pins worn on the pocket...
                        You see a few, but primarily by very young soldiers and non-combatants; ie those who haven't earned any real combat badges. The same is true for things like SA Sports Badges, and other political and sport awards: they seem to be much more prevalent on the uniform of early war soldiers and REMFs.

Comment

Personally, I think that badge could have been intended for some sort of SS/HJ liaison function..........like the SS/Police liaison etc. rautes. The SS and HJ grew ever closer as the war progressed, with the HJ Division, SS Flak Helpers, etc.I don't think it was ever intended for 'former members'.Just a thought.Whatever it was, there's no evidence it was ever issued or worn.

Comment

As I understand it, they were worn as to indicate that the wearer (SS member) was a former member of the HJ.

Comment

IMO that would make no sense , since they probably ALL were in the HJ at one time , like having attended school .
                              Wasn't service in the HJ quite simply mandatory for male youth , like the RAD afterwards , and military service after that ..?
                              Former officers / Führer from the HJ would be a possibility , however I think there is still no proof the badge was ever instituted / worn ..

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X