SS Kepi

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SS Kepi

Would like to get some comments on this SS Kepi - good or bad. I do not own it, so you will not hurt my feelings either way. Just looking for an honest assessment.

Thanks, Doug
    Attached Files

Pic 2...
    Attached Files

Comment

The 4th Sturm should be in the 1st Sturmbann, not the 2nd. So the 4/II mark is strange. The IV/14 would relate to the reserve battalion of the Gotha Standarte.

That said, people moved around in the early SS, where unit sizes varied enormously, and I see more positives about that cap than negatives - although photos can be notoriously deceptive.

Comment

As Mr. Lumsden says these markings are curious. If this kepi is from 1933 or early 1934 then each individual Sturmbann was numbered from 1 upwards. So, Sturmbann IV could have a 4th sturm. But the second mark would appear to indicate the owner was in the 4th sturm of the 2nd Sturmbann. Perhaps, as Mr. Lumsden says, he simply moved from one sturmbann to another.
        As an aside, I can't say I care for the totenkopf badge, but I wouldn't pass judgement on the hat based on these photos.
        Regards,
        Derek

Comment

Thank you for the input. Would like to hear from others who may have experience with these Kepi's. I will try to get some additional pictures later this week.

Doug

Comment

I do not like this piece. Notice the pristeen, unworn condition exhibited by the cap's exterior. The leather chin strap shows no age or use. Gentlemen, they continually used these chin straps. The buckle movement would exhibit wear and indentations on the leather. Turning our attention to the interior, if this is an early kepi, which most of them were, the lining color does not meet the criteria of any early kepi I have owned or handled. The sweatband looks as though the hat has experienced many years of hard wear. Further, it does not come together well in the back. I also do not like the insignia and believe them to be modern. The previous observations coupled with the curious unit markings lead me to believe this to be a reproduction.
            Bob

Comment

The photos are not great as Mr Chapman has stated can you supply better photo's? as I also have some concerns as well.

As Bob has mentioned there appears no wear to the outside, the chin strap looks new, the sweat band has lost a lot of its finish and looks well used it also appears from the photo's to be hand sewn in as well.

cheers
              Gary

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Coleman
                I do not like this piece. Notice the pristeen, unworn condition exhibited by the cap's exterior. The leather chin strap shows no age or use. Gentlemen, they continually used these chin straps. The buckle movement would exhibit wear and indentations on the leather. Turning our attention to the interior, if this is an early kepi, which most of them were, the lining color does not meet the criteria of any early kepi I have owned or handled. The sweatband looks as though the hat has experienced many years of hard wear. Further, it does not come together well in the back. I also do not like the insignia and believe them to be modern. The previous observations coupled with the curious unit markings lead me to believe this to be a reproduction.
                Bob
                Here speaks a voice of great authority as concerns Shaftmuetzen aller Art! The comment as concerns wear to the Sturmriemen is also quite cogent, here, as well. I have seen this phenomenon in SS caps of the early era, where the chin strap was an actual thing versus a matter of decoration.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                X