Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ss-skull

Is it corect that it dated 1936? on the back: M1/52
    I´m being oferd 155 euro fore it---i´m i being ripped of,, or is it a resonible prize?
    In wath prize range are these skulls?
    Attached Files

Yes, you are beign ripped off. You can probably get three times that much.

Brad

Comment

Originally posted by bwanek1
      Yes, you are beign ripped off. You can probably get three times that much.

Brad
      Brad,
      Sent you a pm.
      John

Comment

Very nice skull you have!

Worth around $500.00 if both prongs are still there.

Best, Chris

Comment

Tanks!.........
          It was close, i got a bit suspisios wen the guy got eger.
          but about 450 for this it´s crasy, you can get a helmet for that!
          would it be diffrent if it would be dated from the 40:ies?
          It would be interesting to to know abit bakgrond about this skull.

The only thing i know: i got it from e freinds freind in sweden late 90:ies..

Comment

Originally posted by Robban75
            Tanks!.........
            ...would it be diffrent if it would be dated from the 40:ies?
            Just to clarify, this is a 1936 pattern skull; it is not necessarily from 1936. Up to 1936, a different style of skull was used by the SS. It was a larger version of the jawless panzer TK. In 1936, the style was changed to this patern. However, it was used from that point through the end of the war. Thus, this could very well have been made during the early 40's.

This one (M1/52) was made by Deschler. It is the most commonly found maker. However, authentic TKs are in high demand. Even those made of cheap, late-war materials which are in poor condition are commanding high prices these days, so long as they are original. Yours is made of CupAl (a copper/aluminum wafer) and not the cheaper zinc found later in the war. It is also in pretty nice condition. Hence, though it is not rare as TKs go, you should be able to get a good price for it.

Can we see a photo of the reverse? Chris is correct, the value will depend on the condition of the pins as well.

Brad

Comment

I agree with everything that Brad said, except for the fact this pattern skull was not introduced in 1936, but instead, 1934.
              It is the 1934 pattern skull and they started being made of Brass and Tombac, but they quickly changed to CupAl, (probably late 1935 or early 1936), and continued until around 1942.
              Also, for a short period of time, (I think it was around 1941 or 1942), skulls and eagles were made of plain aluminum.
              Finally, they were produced from zinc throughout the last three or four years. Yes, they are all important, rare, and valuable pieces of history that are extremely sought after all over the world and have been for decades.
              Of course, the early Tombac bronze/brass skulls and the aluminum skulls
              are much rarer than the CupAl or zinc skulls. Furthermore, Deschler was indeed the main manufacture of these skulls. There were four other makers that made them, but Deschler is by far, my favorite and was certainly the most used by the SS, although Overhoff skulls were very common among the Waffen-SS as well as Deschler. They are all worth the same,
              as far as by manufacture. The zinc Assmann skull on the Collector's Guild
              website just brought $468.00 Wow!

Best, Chris
              Last edited by SScollector; 11-20-2005, 06:27 PM.

Comment

tanks good info!
                i might have the second pin...
                Attached Files

Comment

who made the skulls marked m1/24? Also are there fakes marked m1/52?

Comment

Originally posted by Banzi64
                    who made the skulls marked m1/24? Also are there fakes marked m1/52?
                    M1/24 is Overhoff and fake M1/52 skulls are abundant!

Brad

Comment

1934 and all that

Derek Chapman has provided useful, verifiable data as concerns the dates of first wear of this badge in a relevant post here containing some marvelous images from that year. As a point of information, alu. Deschler skulls existed on black officer caps of the era 1938/39.

Comment

Tanks fore god info

It almost makes me want to keep it.
                        But it will be for sale in dec-jan.
                        I have to find that pin

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                        X