Opinons please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Opinons please

Guy I know I might be beating a dead horse here but I just wanted to post this tunic one more time (I guess I am still hanging on to a dream). I picked this up from someone a few years back for a couple of hundred dollars. I purchased it as a fake because the insignia was obviously bad. This weekend I had about the tenth collector look at this and tell me definitely bad insignia but they believe the tunic itself to be real. Granted the collectors that have looked at it are far from SS experts so I will appeal to the experts here for one last opinion. If indeed the tunic has a chance of being authentic I want to strip the insignia from it. If it is bad it stays a nice Halloween costume. I don’t collect SS, just Army. From a construction stand point it looks ok to me other than the high sheen silk lining. The buttons are all RZM m 5/8 marked. Thanks for any thoughts, I am not holding my breath for positives.
    Attached Files

Back
    Attached Files

Comment

lining
      Attached Files

Comment

Tag
        Attached Files

Comment

Buttons
          Attached Files

Comment

Pocket
            Attached Files

Comment

Sleeve lining
              Attached Files

Comment

Colleague Coleman has a real example of this species. Maybe he'll say something relevant. My wild a$$ guess is this piece is a Janke, actually. The material is wrong for a summer weight uniform, especially if you deepen yourself in the Beaver books, where the original examples are illustrated in their number. I owned one white SS tunic with closed collar for a doctor in the LAH in the 1970s. Long, long gone.....but I still have the long pants that went with it. The tunic of mine was a cottony thing, as worn in the Wehrmacht or Luftwaffe. It had a silk topped field grey cap with white piping which I wish I could find. It went to so. Cal in about 1974....

Comment

Donald you are correct on the material. I could only find reference to four originals and all were made of a different material. None of which looked like this. Before I lend it out to my brother-in-law for Halloween I just want to make sure the tunic is as fake as the insignia. Another thing that strikes me wrong is the yellowing. If you look inside the pockets the yellowing is even and exactly like the exterior. I am not sure if that would be the normal aging process?

Comment

May I second colleague Abenheim's opinion of this piece. There is nothing I can see that resembles wartime construction except possibly the buttons. I would not be too worried if someone wore this while dunking for apples at the Halloweeen party.

Bob

Comment

Maybe you can give it to Prince Harry to wear while attending Sandhurst.

Comment

Now wizzard has an idea, I can send it to Harry for his birthday.

Well I can still dream of owning one. Thanks guys, time to trash this baby.

Comment

Yellowing is caused by sitting it in a room full of cigarette smoke.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                          X