Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Black Norwegian GSSN uniform

Hi,

Norwegian GSSN uniforms is very rare and interesting. I saw this uniform listed on the Ruptured Duck:

http://www.therupturedduck.com/WebPages/Uniforms/uniforms.htm#SS%20and%20Exotic%20Uniforms

It is listed as U-093 (the 3 rd listing from the top in this link). The description list; This tunic was almost certainly made in Norway, but under the auspices of the RZM, and as (please read the description for complete listing.)

This is not the standard black wool version of the algemeine uniform (see describtion in the link). On 21.7.1942 GSSN was established and the black wool version of the allgemeine uniform was commonly used by GSSN).

I am very interested in any additional information on the production and use of the specific pattern listed in the link and such information will be highly apreciated.

Thanks a lot

Rgds
    Pål

Germanische SS uniform

I am somewhat acquainted with Allgemeine SS uniforms in the Altreich, and I have seen uniforms worn by Standarten in ex-Austria, France (i.e Elsass) and what is today the Czech Republic (Eggerland). The piece on offer from Shea is quite different from these, to be sure. I have never actually seen any Germanische SS pieces of uniform in the wool that I knew to be real, but our Dutch, Belgian and Danish colleagues have,to be sure. I am eager to learn more about such rare regalia and know the sophisticated collectors in Norway can aprise us of same.

Comment

Originally posted by Donald Abenheim
      I am somewhat acquainted with Allgemeine SS uniforms in the Altreich, and I have seen uniforms worn by Standarten in ex-Austria, France (i.e Elsass) and what is today the Czech Republic (Eggerland). The piece on offer from Shea is quite different from these, to be sure. I have never actually seen any Germanische SS pieces of uniform in the wool that I knew to be real, but our Dutch, Belgian and Danish colleagues have,to be sure. I am eager to learn more about such rare regalia and know the sophisticated collectors in Norway can aprise us of same.
      The danish black uniforms of the Schalburgkorps was simply algemeine SS uniforms stripped of Eagle and Collar patch. They were used only very shortly in 1943, and therefore probably the most rare Germanic SS uniform. If there ever should turn one up for sale, It had to be studied with extreme caution!

regards jens

Comment

GSSN picture

Hi Donald & Jens,

Thanks for comments.

This is a picture from a Norwegian period publication. The upper left corner is of Norwegian GSSN. Clokwise is pictures of Norske, Hollandske, Flamske and Tyske (Norwegian, do not know the english word for the next two & German) allgemeine ss units.

As in Denmark, the standard black wool version of the german allgemeine uniform with RZM labels etc. was used by the Norwegian GSSN. It seems that strait trousers and short boots wehre most common, but breeches and long boots was also used.

Do hope some can add some interesting information on this issue .

Thanks

Rgds
        Pål
        Attached Files

Comment

Thanks for the above. The other entities illustrated in this intriguing document are, of course, the Dutch and Flemish/Belgian contignents of the Germanische SS as well as plain vanilla German Allgem. SS unit. But, dear colleague, are you saying that the Norwegian Germanische SS simply wore German made black SS uniform? I do think that the Allgemeine SS had a ski uniform (an example of which I have never seen save in images...) which might have been gabardine. One collector on the other site has a ski cap of similar make. Could one have taken the Allgemeine SS ski uniform and issued it to the Norwegians? Oh, das wirst Du nie wissen.... many thanks. The Shea piece does bear some resemblence to what might be a ski uniform, but others here can generalize about this better than can I. Without wanting to plug any dealer's ware all too much, I have examined more than one black woolen piece from this source and generally found them picco bello (sp). But I am wholly out of my depth with this piece, unless it is German made. Did not v Lukacs in Sweden have a piece similar to this? Is this the same piece? Fragen auf Fragen....
          Last edited by Donald Abenheim; 10-02-2005, 05:15 PM.

Comment

Times like this I wish I had $10,500.

Comment

Originally posted by Donald Abenheim
              Thanks for the above. The other entities illustrated in this intriguing document are, of course, the Dutch and Flemish/Belgian contignents of the Germanische SS as well as plain vanilla German Allgem. SS unit. But, dear colleague, are you saying that the Norwegian Germanische SS simply wore German made black SS uniform? I do think that the Allgemeine SS had a ski uniform (an example of which I have never seen save in images...) which might have been gabardine. One collector on the other site has a ski cap of similar make. Could one have taken the Allgemeine SS ski uniform and issued it to the Norwegians? Oh, das wirst Du nie wissen.... many thanks. The Shea piece does bear some resemblence to what might be a ski uniform, but others here can generalize about this better than can I. Without wanting to plug any dealer's ware all too much, I have examined more than one black woolen piece from this source and generally found them picco bello (sp). But I am wholly out of my depth with this piece, unless it is German made. Did not v Lukacs in Sweden have a piece similar to this? Is this the same piece? Fragen auf Fragen....
              Hi Donald,

I am careful about making expert comments on this isssue as I am not one. I will try to comment a little on some questions I have some information about.

The standard black wool Allgemeine uniform (to be precise I must specify that I only refer to tunics and over coats) was defenetly used and examples exist in collections in Norway. We know that both tunics, overcoats and other items was shipped from Germany to Norway to be used by the GSSN. They also used black caps that have a short peak (much shorter than a standard M43 cap). The cap can be seen in the picture above. In addition to German supply this cap was produced in Norway as well. They have a small Norwegian manufactures label inside (I have heard that they also exist without such label). Regarding the straight trousers seen in the picture above it might be from the ski uniform you mention. Both the German made cap and straight trousers used by the GSSN is often described as skicap/ skitrousers here in Norway (I would asume the cap you mention is one of the Grman produced caps used by GSSN). I have not heard the ski description about the tunic and can't comment on the use of the tunic from the ski uniform by GSSN (please do not interpret this as anything else than; I just do not know).

Weather other items was used I can't comment on. I am sure there is a lot of information that is to be revealed about GSSN and their use of uniforms and was hoping to learn more about such by starting this tread. Would be very interesting to hear some more comments on the tunic in post #1 beeing of the allgemeine ski uniform pattern.

Rgds
              Pål

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
              X