He Looks So Happy........

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

....since his very own little box arrived in the post this morning.....
    Attached Files

Robin,

Very nice! Got any more photo's and any info on the rings original owner?

Comment

The owner was a SS-Ostuf. Georg Simetsreiter, who served with the Munich SS, the SS Welfare Dept., and later with the Hunyadi Division. I got the ring (via auction) from an ex-RAMC medic in Warwickshire who was given the ring by Simetsreiter in Berlin in 1946. Simetsreiter was working in Spandau as a POW and was befriended by the medic (chox for his kids etc.). The only thing Simetsreiter had to give him in return was the ring - which he duly did! It's a 21.6.44 ring and it's mint. I think Simetsreiter must have very seldom worn it during 1944-45. I managed to get in touch with the medic vet through the auction house, and he gave me the story. There's actually a bit more to it, but I'll save that for another day.

Comment

Here's the back of the ring to show condition. This is usually the bit that wears down first.
        Attached Files

Comment

Must have set you back a bit.

Comment

Yes, he has an ear-to-ear grin. .....Oops; sorry -- I just noticed his handicap.

8( . . )8
            8 IÎI 8

Comment

Yes Robin

[FONT=Arial][SIZE=2][COLOR=DarkGreen]
              Originally posted by GHP
              Yes, he has an ear-to-ear grin. .....Oops; sorry -- I just noticed his handicap.

8( . . )8Robin,
              You seem to have a knack of obtaining these gems from the past!
              Well done on your capture!
              Regards,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,THELMA
              8 IÎI 8

Comment

Why does such a litle box never arrived at my place in the morning (or afternoon)??

Great item!

Rene

Comment

a really nice item!!!
                  congratulation!

Comment

Originally posted by Robin Lumsden
                    The owner was a SS-Ostuf. Georg Simetsreiter, who served with the Munich SS, the SS Welfare Dept., and later with the Hunyadi Division. I got the ring (via auction) from an ex-RAMC medic in Warwickshire who was given the ring by Simetsreiter in Berlin in 1946. Simetsreiter was working in Spandau as a POW and was befriended by the medic (chox for his kids etc.). The only thing Simetsreiter had to give him in return was the ring - which he duly did! It's a 21.6.44 ring and it's mint. I think Simetsreiter must have very seldom worn it during 1944-45. I managed to get in touch with the medic vet through the auction house, and he gave me the story. There's actually a bit more to it, but I'll save that for another day.
                    Robin,
                    It's a great piece. Good to know the story behind it, you know you have a real piece of history. You're right it's THE definition of mint. Pieces like this are way out of my price range, thanks for sharing

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                    X