Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Black SS uniform?

Hello,
    I am new to this site and still learning about German items. I have collected US for seven years with limited German stuff. I wanted to know about black SS uniforms. The type you see in movies. All black with visor cap and jack boots. What type of model uniform is that? How much do they go for? Are they reproduced?
    Thank You

Well, the black uniforms you speak of can be either the service or dress uniforms for the SS. The cost varies depending on unit, insignia type attached, etc but the price is usually enough to make you scream involuntarily. Most of the ones you see being sold are probably fakes. Here is a real one to check out:

http://www.germanmilitaria.com/Waffe...os/S20553.html

Comment

Originally posted by GuyD.
      Hello,
      I am new to this site and still learning about German items. I have collected US for seven years with limited German stuff. I wanted to know about black SS uniforms. The type you see in movies. All black with visor cap and jack boots. What type of model uniform is that? How much do they go for? Are they reproduced?
      Thank You
      They are Allgemeine-SS service uniforms. Genuine, unmessed with examples with insignia start about US$7,500 depending on rank and unit, for a named high rankng tunic you might pay US$12,000 or more.

Comment

yes they are extremely expensive

Yes they are extremely expensive and over valued! But thats the way they are going Im afraid!
        Wish I had one like these, Thelma
        Last edited by thelma; 09-26-2005, 07:18 PM. Reason: no image

Comment

The one with the link was once in my collection and the prices are high because this are high end items especially when you find named one where you have 100% research behind the soldier. Very hard to get unaltered and 100% original untouched black VT/TV/Allg. SS tunics. Prices go from maybe around 5k to 25k. So there is a big range for such things.

Comment

"DF" Tunic

This piece has the imprimatur of some of the leading figures in the field, and the fact it was in the Hassler collection speaks volumes for these textiles as well. I cannot generalize about prices, but I do warmly suggest that one can examine the holdings in this material of another colleague at the World Militaria Collectors site, that of Bob Rodgers. There are a number of authentic pieces illustrated there. There are also authentic pieces to be seen on the German Daggers site. I believe there is a sole example of an authentic uniform on this site, if memory serves. Sapere aude!

Comment

Since i began collecting in the 1950's, the black SS dress uniform has always been one of the most desired collectables. I agree with our colleague Hassler that uniforms that have not been consturcted are difficult to locate these days outside of a serious collection. If you do decide to make the expenditure, I would strongly suggest requesting the assistance of an advanced collector when choosing an item

Bob

Comment

The matter is rendered more difficult for the novice, because a number of stripped authentic black tunics were found by a well known dealer in the ex-USSR, and these have made their way into the collector cosmos. There is great pleasure in ownership of authentic items of this kind, as colleague Coleman can well describe. This regalia became the subject of fakers really from the start. A beginner should heed colleague Coleman's injunction for a coalition of the willing and the knowledgable in this kind of vexxed textiles.

Comment

I must concur with Donald's observation reegarding the several thousand stripped tunics located in the old USSR over ten years past. Some were reworked by a noted European dealer and became high ranking officer tunics with well executed reproduction insignia. Many were married with original SS documents with the tunic being assembled to fit the owner of the documents. Many of these pieces were exported to North America and now sit in the collections of the unknowing.

In the early days of collecting, more collectors were interested in the insignia rather than a bulky tunic or mantel. many SS tunics were stripped of insignia that now resides in some of the finest SS insignia collections. A few years past, a close collecting friend was able to buy a very fine black officer's tunic still retaining it's original parade brace and breast badges. He recognized it as one that had been stripped of its very unique right collar tab back in the early 60's. The uniform had now become a LAH tunic. Luckily, he knew where the original tab was and after much negotiating, was able to reunite it with it's original tunic. May I say there is definitely a difference between proper restoration and an assembled piece. Good hunting!
                  Bob

Comment

Thank you for all the information. Original is out of the range I am willing to spend right now. Does anybody make a reproduction?

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                    X