Is Bryan right?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is Bryan right?

Gentlemen, could I get some opinions on these please? They're from the pair of visor caps I posted recently. Bryan reckons they're bogus and I think he's right about the first skull here:
    Attached Files

Here's eagle from the same cap. I've taken it off and found that one of the pins has been repaired/replaced. I've never seen this ss 223/39 number before.
    Attached Files

Comment

back
      Attached Files

Comment

Skull from the black cap. I've peeked at the back of this one and it's an RZM 52 and 100% legit IMO.
        Attached Files

Comment

Eagle from the black cap. It's a very thin silver painted copper M1/72 and a bit bent out of shape around the wreath. I saw an indentical one posted on the GD fourm and it got the thumbs up.
          Attached Files

Comment

Back..
            Attached Files

Comment

Argwohn, Misstrauen, Frust u Zweifel

Your black cap is perfect. The badges are also fine and fit with the 1938 date of the cap. The badges on the grey cap do cause me some doubt, as I think the Zimmermann skull looks kinda cast to me, but I cannot really tell these things this way via these pictures. I have not here-to-fore seen the VA contract number of the Hoheitszeichen from . Surely others have. In the case of the black cap, however, you may relax. These are also hard to find with the VA issue stamp. I think the majority were bought by the SS Mann himself outside of the VA system, that is, from the braune Laeden. I did recently have the chance to examine a mid-war grey cap from an US east coast dealer site bought by another member, and it was a poem, a delight of authenticity as is seldom seen. It had a very high crown, in a very stylish oval/Sattel shape, very short visor and was well made with the kind of lower quality materials of mid-war. The cap was from Krefeld, not so far from Koeln. A wonderful piece. These grey caps are quite tough. And, often their bagdes have been fiddled with or replaced. It is a very common thing and the prices of replacement , OEM badges are staggering.

Comment

I have never seen the 223/39 number before, but I don't like it. Among other things, the head looks very odd and it has the curved feather lines.

The M1/72, by contrast, is one of the nicest examples of this style of Zimmermann I have seen!

As for the Zimmermann TK, it is tough to tell without seeing the reverse. The front looks pretty good, but it may simply be a good casting from an original. I am still leaning toward it being good from this one photo. Here is a side-by-side with one of my 499/41 TKs for comparison:

Comment

Here's a close up of the head of the 223/39. It does have a vertical cut/crack on the beak which makes it look shorter than normal.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Where are you Bryan?
                    I think it would be nice if you were to comment seeing as though you said that "insignia are bogus for sure"

Comment

The 499 skull and the 223 eagle are fakes.
                      I do not see anything wrong with the others in this thread.

Best,
                      Chris

Comment

The 499 skull and the 223 eagle are fakes.
                        I do not see anything wrong with the others in this thread.

Best,
                        Chris

Comment

Originally posted by BenVK
                          Where are you Bryan?
                          I think it would be nice if you were to comment seeing as though you said that "insignia are bogus for sure"
                          Right here, Den!

Yes now that I see these better pics I agree the insignia on the
                          A-SS cap are good. No problem at all. They just looked really weird
                          in the other shot, and they were next to the fakes on the other cap
                          so I'm afraid I found them guilty by association. My mistake.

Plus I was tired and drunk.

One can not be a superman all the time. It wears you out.
                          It really wears you out.

Comment

Sein oder Nichtsein!

Nicht heulen! The struggle for the truth exacts its price of mind, spirit &c. These electronic pictures are also kind of a trap. They sometimes seem to communicate a certainty that is only an illusion. SS cap insignia are such a source of frustration, really.

Comment

Originally posted by Donald Abenheim
                              Nicht heulen! The struggle for the truth exacts its price of mind, spirit &c. These electronic pictures are also kind of a trap. They sometimes seem to communicate a certainty that is only an illusion. SS cap insignia are such a source of frustration, really.

Donald-
                              Please revert to the size of type you used to use. The small letters you are now utilizing are too much of a challenge for my old eyes. I do not wish to miss one word of your most interesting and informative posts.
                              Bob

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X