SS Hat Eagle?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SS Hat Eagle?

Greetings: I just picked this SS eagle up...I trust the source and the story...it came from an antique picker that got it along with a couple of other very nice SS items, so I think it is real. Kinda worn, the eagle's head threads are loose...a bullion thread I'm thinking. Looks to have been removed from a garmet, I'm assuming a hat due to the size... The black back ground is a folded material.

Any ideas as to what this would have gone on? My pal said an overseas cap, mabe sewn on the side? I'm thinking that was on the very early SS overseas caps... Any input would be appreciated. Skip
    Attached Files

Back

Any idea of value in it's worn/used condition? I like 'em used and not mint, personally...
    Attached Files

Comment

Bullion...

I was told since this eagle is made of bullion thread, it may well be an officer's eagle...any thoughts on that? Skip

Comment

cap eagle

This is reproduction of an aluminum thread BEVo SS eagle (1936 pattern). This was used on the front of the m40 overseas and front or side of m43 field caps.
        The eagle posted does not appear to be done in true aluminum thread but maybe a rayon thread. The detail in the feathers, chest and head lack original characteristics and quality.

Comment

Thanks..

Thanks for the info...I'm not sure if it is a repro or not...I see your point, but the bullion or alum thread sure seems like it is right...cold to the touch, especailly noticable if you touch it to your lip, it is very cold feeling. The pics don't do it justice, but I see your point.

SS cloth bothers me...too much good fake ones out there!

Skip

Comment

aluminum thread

Skip,
            Try burning a loose silver thread on the back of the eagle. Aluminum won't burn. Rayon, silk or cotton will burn up instantly.

Comment

Nope...

Nope, a loose silver thread did not burn up instantly...it kinda glowed...like metal would.

Skip

Comment

eagle

That would most likely be aluminum then. Try to post a better picture of the chest and head. The head looks like it may be worn/frayed and maybe it is closer to an acceptable shape than this picture illustrates. The image you have posted shows poor detail, maybe due to glare on the aluminum. There are four basic patterns I have seen of the original cap BEVo aluminum eagles. It would be easier to compare them with a better image. These insignia are normally folded under like this when originally applied to give a puffier appearance.

Comment

Another pic...

I've tried here...the pic is still not very good. The head, especially the eye is coming loose, making it look funny.

I'm not worried about it being real...I have a life-time money back guarantee. I'm pretty sure it is right, but I invite any and all opinions!

We are all learning here!

Skip
                  Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                  X