Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SS Officers Sleeve Eagle

Hello,

I hope everyone is in good health and good spirits. Your thoughts on this eagle are much appreciated.

Best wishes,
    Christopher

Hello Members,

I hope this finds you well and in
    good spirits. I would love to hear any opinions. Thanks.

Best wishes,
    Christopher

Comment

That is a reproduction.

Comment

A Sieder variant .
        Last edited by John Pic; 08-25-2020, 04:58 PM.

Comment

Bad bird!

Comment

I agree with John (Both times) and Felix.

Alen Davidson

Comment

Its too small. . .
              The bullion is wrong. . .
              The stitch holes are too small too
              Regards David

Comment

It is a Sieder variation the giveaway is the inner wing embroidery shape. It may even be a reproduction of a reproduction it looks awful flat.

Comment

It's a 1970's MGM movie bird.........

Comment

Verdict is in.....Bad Bird

Comment

Originally posted by John Pic View Post
                      A Sieder variant .
                      John, Just wondering if you would know how many variations of the Sieder fakes existed? I noticed this example has some black thread outlining the pointed feathers while others do not. To me, they all seem to have the same type of head.

Comment

Originally posted by clestuff View Post

John, Just wondering if you would know how many variations of the Sieder fakes existed? I noticed this example has some black thread outlining the pointed feathers while others do not. To me, they all seem to have the same type of head.
                        If you go to my thread on Tunics I posted several variations. The design is basically similar in the two different styles . One is the real kinda sloppily made variation like the one on the TK tunic that we discussed. The other can be super nice or dull with the same featherless inner wing design similar to this eagle shown. The highlight threads you're pointing out appear on some but not others and are in the wrong place on the eagle. When I get home later I will do a thread to make it simple to tell. Sieder eagles and some early fakes used a template or unterlagen just like originals but it is usually not the right type of cardboard and may even have a UV glow when torn or cracked, unlike period unterlagen. My theory on them is that bundles were made post war in the same circumstances Souval made postwar badges. Probably to trade as souvenirs to G.I.s still serving, but for whatever reason remained un-distributed until HSC collections a Militaria dealer or Johannes Floch discovered them. Then they began circulation and many ended up on faked or re-worked tunics by tailors who worked for HSC. I keep a photo of the letter that was circulated exposing HSC and the names of people working for them. So some eagles look old and worn others brand new. They may have continued making them well into the 1990’s

Comment

Originally posted by John Pic View Post

If you go to my thread on Tunics I posted several variations. The design is basically similar in the two different styles . One is the real kinda sloppily made variation like the one on the TK tunic that we discussed. The other can be super nice or dull with the same featherless inner wing design similar to this eagle shown. The highlight threads you're pointing out appear on some but not others and are in the wrong place on the eagle. When I get home later I will do a thread to make it simple to tell. Sieder eagles and some early fakes used a template or unterlagen just like originals but it is usually not the right type of cardboard and may even have a UV glow when torn or cracked, unlike period unterlagen. My theory on them is that bundles were made post war in the same circumstances Souval made postwar badges. Probably to trade as souvenirs to G.I.s still serving, but for whatever reason remained un-distributed until HSC collections a Militaria dealer or Johannes Floch discovered them. Then they began circulation and many ended up on faked or re-worked tunics by tailors who worked for HSC. I keep a photo of the letter that was circulated exposing HSC and the names of people working for them. So some eagles look old and worn others brand new. They may have continued making them well into the 1990’s
                          Thank you for sharing your knowledge.

Comment

Many thanks to all who shared their expertise, I really appreciate it!

Best wishes,
                            Christopher

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                            X