No announcement yet.

need opinions on this tunic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

the question about the tabs application is pretty much a mute one. Had this been faked wouldnt the faker just as easily applied the tabs "correctly" & not taken an obviously more time consuming method? Well the jacket is obviously a fake....can I offer you $100 for it for "fake research"?

Comment

now if I offered this as a 100% original Totenkopf tunic Id be laughed (or chased) out of any serious show on the planet.Rest assured this tunic showed evidence of a prior Heer eagle!
      Attached Files

Comment

I am surprised everyone has given the thumbs up from the pic of the CT without getting a look at the back to check out the tell tale single horizontal thread at the top.
        The CT looks sewn on very tight to avoid prying eyes which is not a good sign.

Comment

I like the jacket

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Stevens
            I am surprised everyone has given the thumbs up from the pic of the CT without getting a look at the back to check out the tell tale single horizontal thread at the top.
            The CT looks sewn on very tight to avoid prying eyes which is not a good sign.
            That's the first time I've ever heard anyone voice suspicioin about insignia because it was sewn on well. I guess that is the final frontier of things to be suspect.

Comment

I think what bothers me the most about this piece is that the tabs show heavy wear (especially the rune tab) the cufftitle however looks like it is in mint unissued condition. I would expect to see more wear to the cufftitle than the tabs but from the pics it just does not look like it has been on there for 60 years.

Glenn
              "A Man's Got to Know His Limitations"

Comment

Originally posted by nutmeg
                That's the first time I've ever heard anyone voice suspicioin about insignia because it was sewn on well. I guess that is the final frontier of things to be suspect.
                You obviously have not handled many original bevo cufftitles or aware of the excellent copy fakes. The reverse of the fakes have a thicker horizontal line of stitch which gives them away. Fakers tend to hide this by stitching the title on very tightly and at the top to prevent a check of the reverse.

Comment

Here's a thread that shows a fake CT and that reverse thicker line.
                  Fake

Comment

I agree that the insignia looks right, sewn on an army tunic, one of the photos inside the sleeve looks like the outline of a police eagle? The title could be good, agian seeing the reverse would be key to a period one or one of the newer generation fakes.

Stripped tunic, $500, eagle tabs boards, in my mind somewhere near a grand, a good deal for 1500, after that you are on your own,
                    Good Luck,
                    Dave
                    Attached Files
                    DaveJ

Comment

maybe I am seeing things?
                      DaveJ

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Stevens
                        You obviously have not handled many original bevo cufftitles or aware of the excellent copy fakes. The reverse of the fakes have a thicker horizontal line of stitch which gives them away. Fakers tend to hide this by stitching the title on very tightly and at the top to prevent a check of the reverse.
                        Bob, Not knowing me you have assumed I am ignorant about Bevo cufftitles. I have about a dozen of them and am fully aware of the back edge stitched dot line, etc., etc. What I was commenting about , was the previous conclusion that something was suspect just because it was sewn down so the back could not be seen. That is the case with much insignia on tunics and collectors cannot go around cutting stitching just to look at the backs of each piece . The good repro Bevo cuff titles I have looked at (and I cannot say I have seen every type available) are too stiff and do not have the slippery feel of originals (among other things).

Comment

I like it!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by nutmeg
                            Bob, Not knowing me you have assumed I am ignorant about Bevo cufftitles. I have about a dozen of them and am fully aware of the back edge stitched dot line, etc., etc. What I was commenting about , was the previous conclusion that something was suspect just because it was sewn down so the back could not be seen. That is the case with much insignia on tunics and collectors cannot go around cutting stitching just to look at the backs of each piece . The good repro Bevo cuff titles I have looked at (and I cannot say I have seen every type available) are too stiff and do not have the slippery feel of originals (among other things).
                            If that is the case, I am surprised at your original reply to my point which I did find rather ignorant. Anyway, back to the tunic. I must say I would only buy a SS-BW rather than an army one with SS insignia. Of course the SS did wear army tunics but I would not buy one for my collection as I feel the doubt element would make a re-sale dificult. Just IMHO of course.

Comment

[QUOTE=Bob Stevens]If that is the case, I am surprised at your original reply to my point which I did find rather ignorant.

I guess you are the expert.

Comment

It might be an original tunic, but it is not an original SS tunic. It has three belt hook holes, the SS tunics only had two, only Wehrmact and Luftwaffe uniforms had three. But since it is clearly not blue, that makes it a Wehrmact uniform. Sorry
                                Regards,
                                Paul

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                                X