No announcement yet.

need opinions on this tunic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jeez guys. It shouldn't be that hard. 97 views and no comments. I have my concerns about it and i want some other opinions.

Gary

Comment

Gary on my first sign it looks normal. The shoulders boards are correct, both eagle and arm badge are correct. I believe that collar tabs and cuff title are also original, but could you send some large photos for sure? So by me all insignia of this tunic looks correct. Then the tunic looks as normal army M40 variation, which also used by Waffen SS. So it is correct too but for 100% sure need full sized photo of the linner.

Comment

Gary tell me please how collars tabs sewed to the collar, I see that collar of the tunic hasn't any traces on the backside.

Comment

Hi Gary,

Insigna looks OK!

But if the cuff (and the other insigna) was originally to this jacket we will never know.

I am curious what the others have to say about these jacket.

Best regards,

Rene

Comment

Its what appears to be an earlier style jacket with a mid war cifftitle. The eagle is an early style. I cant tell what the collar backing material is but if its HBT thats very odd for that period of tunic. The best I can do with the photos youve given. Hohenstaufen would be a very very(cant emphasize enough) rare tunic to encounter.

Comment

Gary,
              to me the insignia looks OK, although I do not like the fact the cuff title is machine sewn on, also has the collar been replaced?
              cheers
              Gary

Comment

As far as I can tell the collar is original and it is not HBT. I took a more detailed picture of that. Also the CT is machine sewn but as you can see the machine was an old one as there is variation in dirrection of the individual threads which you don't get with a modern machine. This was definately hand fed (company tailor?). I took detailed pics of that as well.

Cheers
                Gary
                Originally posted by Gary Wood
                Gary,
                to me the insignia looks OK, although I do not like the fact the cuff title is machine sewn on, also has the collar been replaced?
                cheers
                Gary
                Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Cain
                  As far as I can tell the collar is original and it is not HBT. I took a more detailed picture of that. Also the CT is machine sewn but as you can see the machine was an old one as there is variation in dirrection of the individual threads which you don't get with a modern machine. This was definately hand fed (company tailor?). I took detailed pics of that as well.

Cheers
                  Gary
                  Attached Files

Comment

Hi Sergey,

one of the tabs I can't tell you because it is ON there and there is no evidence of threads through the collar. It is stitched I think by hand but very, very finely done. The other looks that way as well but it looks like it got caught on something and torn up from the collar and then resewn by someone not as good as the first. (this is my concern area) Here is the best picture I could get of the tab in question.

Gary
                    Originally posted by Sergey
                    Gary tell me please how collars tabs sewed to the collar, I see that collar of the tunic hasn't any traces on the backside.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Looks original, but I think the insignia are postwar applied... like most tunics, but who can tell for sure.

Comment

I agree that the tunic is original but where it is an Army cut it is anyones guess as to when the insignia was applied,it could very well have been done war time... If any of the insignia proves to be not good then I guess you will then have the answer.

Glenn
                        "A Man's Got to Know His Limitations"

Comment

As far as I can tell the insignia is very good. It is the manner of application that has me concerned. There has never and I repeat never been a Heer breast eagle on this tunic, the tabs are genuine as is the CT but I am hoping to come to more of a consensus about time of application. It's coming out of an estate along with a bunch of US stuff, but this is the only German item. It will be for sale if it passes muster.

Gary
                          Originally posted by feldwebl
                          I agree that the tunic is original but where it is an Army cut it is anyones guess as to when the insignia was applied,it could very well have been done war time... If any of the insignia proves to be not good then I guess you will then have the answer.

Glenn

Comment

Question:

I've read somewhere along the way, something about these tunics having sets of two belt hook holes, rather than three. Is that only for certain models/years? Machine sewn insignia, even a cuff title doesn't really bother me, as I've seen period photos of soldiers actually using a sewing machine in the field...

Comment

Hi Johann,

The SS M43 tunics have the two belt ramp holes. Early on the SS used the Heer tunics(mainly the M40 like this one), the problem is it is pretty easy to convert a Heer to a SS tunic which is why you have to look at the whole thing. The sleeve eagle is clearly war time applied as is the fact thet there has not been a breast eagle(which would indicate conversion post war) I am just wondering about the continuity of the CT and the tabs.

Gary
                              Originally posted by Johann Anton
                              Question:

I've read somewhere along the way, something about these tunics having sets of two belt hook holes, rather than three. Is that only for certain models/years? Machine sewn insignia, even a cuff title doesn't really bother me, as I've seen period photos of soldiers actually using a sewing machine in the field...

Comment

Hi Gary,

Call me nieve but what about paying the price for the whole tunic of the value of the insignia and an Army M40 tunic? That way you can at least be sure you are not getting ripped off.

Regards Craig

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                                X