SS Porcelain Bowl-High Ranking Officer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SS Porcelain Bowl-High Ranking Officer?

Good morning. I have this large SS porcelain bowl in my collection with an unidentified insignia/crest along the edge. Backside is marked SS-Victoria. Someone has suggested this could be a bowl from the Officer's Mess, the eagle representing a high ranking SS officer. Any help in IDing the significance of this style eagle would be greatly appreciated.
    -Chuck
    Last edited by para03; 01-05-2006, 03:40 PM.

Here's a close-up of the eagle....

Comment

and a close-up of the SS-Victoria marking to the reverse

Comment

Originally posted by para03
        and a close-up of the SS-Victoria marking to the reverse
        This is generally considered mess hall crockery so to speak, its proper but they are messing with insignia on these piece's. There was a set that this reminds me of and it was a full police eage with wrap-around wreath, and marked Kitzbuhel, where there was police units and a school. I have never seen a double applied front design such as this, Is the transfer or sticker above or below the glaze?.

J

Comment

Thank you Jarrid for your reply. The transfer/stickers are below the glaze. If you take another look at the close-up of the transfer, you'll see a tiny blemish to the left side along the bottom portion of the olive branch(?). Under 10X magnification, I can still see the design below this small mark which tells me the transfer is indeed below the glaze. I suppose if they were located above the glaze then there could be a possibility that it was tampered with (ie a fantasy piece)? Just curious as I'm not familiar with the process.
          Originally posted by Jarrid Marsh
          This is generally considered mess hall crockery so to speak, its proper but they are messing with insignia on these piece's. There was a set that this reminds me of and it was a full police eage with wrap-around wreath, and marked Kitzbuhel, where there was police units and a school. I have never seen a double applied front design such as this, Is the transfer or sticker above or below the glaze?.

J
          Last edited by para03; 07-09-2005, 02:32 PM.

Comment

SS crockery

The two best guys I know in this field are David and Darek.

I will send them a message to review this.

Jawes

Comment

Originally posted by para03
              Thank you Jarrid for your reply. The transfer/stickers are below the glaze. If you take another look at the close-up of the transfer, you'll see a tiny blemish to the left side along the bottom portion of the olive branch(?). Under 10X magnification, I can still see the design below this small mark which tells me the transfer is indeed below the glaze. I suppose if they were located above the glaze then there could be a possibility that it was tampered with (ie a fantasy piece)? Just curious as I'm not familiar with the process.

Yes, I like to see them under the glaze, these generally are not high ticket, but I have seen them with SS designs and such that look hokey, and the price inflated. This type of item is not really my specialty, and look forward to hearing what these other gents have to say to be honest, as I am not sure and not really in a hurry to dismiss it.

J

Comment

Jarrid,
                Thanks again. Like you, I'm looking forward to more replies on this one!

Jawes,
                and thank you for the offer of contacting the two other sources. I look forward to hearing from them.
                Originally posted by Jarrid Marsh
                Yes, I like to see them under the glaze, these generally are not high ticket, but I have seen them with SS designs and such that look hokey, and the price inflated. This type of item is not really my specialty, and look forward to hearing what these other gents have to say to be honest, as I am not sure and not really in a hurry to dismiss it.

J

Comment

SS Bowl

Check and others,

Jim asked me to comment on this piece of porcelain. This is a tough one. I have seen this maker mark maybe once before but I'm not really fond of it for a few reasons. The maker is "Victoria" Schmidt & Co Marks" In 1945, it merged with the Altrohlau Porcelain Factories and the EPIAG factory to become a part of Starorolský.

This maker mark on your piece is not an authentic Victoria marking to the best of my knowledge. Most likely this maker mark was meant to look similar to this marking on an authentic SS Reich piece of porcelain made by Bauscher Weiden.

Also, I have never seen a piece of Third Reich porcelain with two emblems on the front of it. There is just simply no need for them to do this which worries me about this piece.

Check out these Victoria SS markings to see what they should look like if it was made by Victoria. This piece of mine is a Waffen SS cup and the second picture is from my Waffen SS Large Bowl.

These are both the correct Victoria maker marks. Finally, Nazi SS porcelain always said what type of SS porcelain it was. Whether that be Waffen or SS Reich it is always labeled when a maker mark is present. Some does not have maker marks at all but that is rare. So, I can't say 100% that this is a fake because it looks to be pretty old and used, but then again that never guarantees anything. Nevertheless, I would stay away from something like this but you may have a nice treasure. One last point. I have never seen that design of Eagle either. I hope this helps!

David

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                  X