griffinmilitaria

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Unusual SS NCO Nord Tunic. Opinions Please!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unusual SS NCO Nord Tunic. Opinions Please!

Here is an Odd one. SS Nord NCO. I know it is a retailored/altered army type tunic because the pockets are raised up and covering the third belt hook holes on the front side. backside has 3 holes. It looks kind of like a M36 tunic, but It has strange arching seams through/behind the top pockets into the armpits which I have never seen before. Also the lower pockets don't bulge out like german pockets do. The lining is strange too and seems minimal. I am thinking maybe some sort of foreign Dutch or danish type tunic or maybe some sort of early transitional type M36 tunic? if anyone knows what this tunic type is please let me know. And Also do the insignia look good on this one? many thanks!!!
    Attached Files

Unusual SS Tunic opinions? more pics

More Pictures
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Arthurlbrennan; 05-29-2020, 10:44 PM.

Comment

Quite a soup sandwich you have there - this one really takes a leap of faith. A couple comments:

- Chest pleats are a tailoring measure, but the curvature and the second set visible out the side of the pocket body seem to serve another function. Seems odd.

- Green collar added to a later war tunic is common enough, as is sewing down the lower pockets after removing the bellow material.

- The skeleton-type liner is common enough in a variety of styles; I have one SS type like this dated 1945.

- Insignia looks good, and it's hard to reason someone attaching it to such a heavily modified tunic. Could be wartime, but likely post-war creation.

s/f Robert

Comment

The base jacket is one strange bird. Weird lining and lining material, super odd proportions, and it looks like one sleeve is made from a different bolt of wool (look at the color) ? Not like any feldbluse I've ever seen, but then aghain, blusen aren't my thing.

The insignia setup IS plausible for Nord BUT, one needs to remember that the SS edelweiss wasn't authorized until fall '43, making this quite a late war setup.

All of the components look incredibly.... mint?

Given the regiment's history and what they went through, you'd expect to either see a lot less "bling", or a LOT more of a ratty jacket, unless this one was reserved for walking out (but, then again, would be quite unusual that late in the war imo)
        Last edited by Graham G; 05-30-2020, 05:42 PM.

Comment

Without provenance it will be difficult to prove anything here.
          If it was not known until recently to be anywhere and was apparently discovered not too long ago then what are the odds?

Jack

Comment

SS NCO Nord RH Tunic

Yeah I’m inclined to agree with the logic and reasoning on this one. It’s looks cool but most likely a restored tunic. And also the fact that it is not even a standard SS tunic with no SS marking either. Will never be valued like a true SS BW marked tunic would. I got it last year and don’t have a whole lot of money tied up in it. No providence. The insignia look really nice though...so here is another question to the collector community: would it be acceptable to remove the original SS insignia to sell or restore a proper SS tunic? Or is doing something like that ruining a potential historical artifact? I mean is stripping a tunic like this a bad thing even offensive? Advice from everyone would be a big help! And also thanks so much for taking the time to comment on this odd one. I’m new to membership here and everyone has been so great here on WAF so far!!

Comment

It is your tunic and you can do what you like with it, but I myself wouldn't touch it unless I am 100% sure it is restored and not period assembled. It is a nice tunic in its present form regardless and I would leave it alone, but it is only me.

Jack

Comment

Originally posted by cossack1648 View Post
                it is your tunic and you can do what you like with it, but i myself wouldn't touch it unless i am 100% sure it is restored and not period assembled. It is a nice tunic in its present form regardless and i would leave it alone, but it is only me.

Jack
                +1

Comment

To be honest, the tunic looks like something that has been thrown together in the 80s or 90s for reenactment purposes, probably using wool from swedish uniforms while the lining looks like swiss army working denim. It has the overall look and construction of an early M33/34 type tunic, but patched together from at least 2 different shades of wool. A couple more pictures could help, like of the sleeve adjustment slits and all the patchwork that has been done.

Comment

Could be. I've seen that deep chest scallop seam before, but can't place it. It wasn't on a tunic though.

Abbreviated factory linings I can live with, and the wool shade and quality throws me off. This likely started service as something else, the question is when and what.

s/f Robert
                    Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                    X